Tuesday, April 27, 2010

144 cupcakes + a weekend with the President + 30 hour famine + X = our last two weeks!

Since almost two weeks have passed since my last entry I will do my best to bring you all up to speed on the events of our family. **Please note** at some point I will make an entry of photos, but they are all still on the camera and of course transferring them from the camera to the computer is a task I usually leave for my wonderful husband!

~144 Cupcakes~
Brandon and I headed south of the border (well the state border) to deliver cupcakes and thank you's to many very special people. The youth group at our former church recently blessed our family in great ways and we wanted to say thanks in person. It was fun (?) to bake cupcakes for an entire day! Actually, the house smelled wonderful for days! The hard part was washing my hands every time a bit of batter touched them (allergies) and resisting the temptation to taste! We had a great time with everyone at our former church and we are in awe of their love for us and for the LORD!

~A weekend with the President~
We spend the weekend with the President... of the Evangelical Free Church of America :) We attended our district spring conference and got to hang out for the weekend with other pastors and wives. We heard from Larry Osborne several times throughout the weekend. He was a GREAT speaker and I am still processing many of the things he shared. A highlight for me was a breakout session for pastor's wives. The wisdom shared as well as the laughter and prayer were priceless!

~30 hour famine/ cows on the yard ~
Our church participated in the World Vision 30 hour famine and I got to help behind the scenes as well as do the actual fast. This year the money will be going to Ethiopia. It was GREAT to be able to tell the student's about our love for Ethiopia. I shared about our baby's "tummy mommy" who might be feeling the hunger the students have felt but also has a growing child in her. As I fasted I thought of our children's birth mothers (most likely all over the world) and my heart and tummy ached. I think the students were pretty thrilled by the thought of the money they raised going possibly to the family and friends of our future children! We got pretty into one of the big fundraisers. Instead of putting flamingos on yards the students put large crazy cows on yards. Families paid for the cows to go on others yards, for the cows to be removed, and for insurance. We were "cowed" three times, but we had the joy of "cowing" 12 yards! I also got to help students deliver cows to area yards.
~X~
Let's face it... X is most likely always going to equal adoption.
The wait and referrals...
Things seem to be moving in the referral department. This is a HUGE answer to prayer! We were so encouraged to hear that our agency gave out 10 referrals last week and the movement on the list has begun. They are currently giving referrals to families who were waiting in May of 2009 (remember our wait date is 1.21.10). As usual we don't know where are at on "the List," though we are very thankful to be on it! I will wait until they are giving September families referrals before I call the agency to ask for time frames. Who am I kidding, sometimes I don't think I can wait another week! I guess I should say that Sept is my goal! The interesting thing about the wait is the "hidden people" in the game. If every waiting person was active in a yahoo group or blog roll you would have a pretty good guess where you were at in the wait, but many people remain hidden which means none of us really knows where things stand.
Two trips...
No new news here. Recently someone wrote in a yahoo group a "top ten reasons why two trips is great" list. While many of the things listed are perks of two trips, I still feel that ethical agencies and families are being punished for the actions of unethical people/agencies. I also feel that the extra airfare cost of 5-6 THOUSAND dollars makes benefits like "more time to shop (one that was listed)" not seem so great. The entry ultimately said that we have to think about that is best of the child. Personally, it seems higher costs could mean fewer adoptions which does not seem best for those waiting for a forever family. I know many of you may disagree with me, but I feel it is significant. I guess it means we covet your prayers all the more that we would find favor in the eyes of those reviewing the grant applications we sent in. We think we might hear back from a couple of them in May. I am still praying that by the time we make it to the top things will have changed again and two trips will become more optional!

Well, I guess those are the highlights from our family. We have some exciting things coming up in May! I will fill you in on those soon :)

No comments: