Saturday, July 31, 2010

A new favorite



I really really enjoy children's books! I was read to every night as a little girl. My mom worked in an elementary library for decades. I read LOTS of books to the children I have nannied for. I give books as gifts. I even personally enjoy many of them and recite them what appropriate... or not.

I have often expressed sadness for the lack of good Christian children's books/Bibles. I often feel the stories lose much of their meaning and are dumbed down to the children. I also feel like the same 25 stories are recycled over and over while the greater understanding of the Bible as a whole and how it all connects is largely lost. Another sad part of most stories is a blue-eyed fair skinned Jesus... what is up with that?

I was actually talking with a great friend about these concepts and our desire for our children and future children to see all Scripture in the context of the Gospel. Two days later I was walking with another friend who showed me a GREAT book which I purchased later that day!



I read the entire Storybook Bible over the next 24 hours! I was blessed as I read! I was encouraged and excited to share this book with our little ones and with all of you! I want you to keep in mind that this is a storybook! It was written by a human. It is not without error. It does not replace the Bible, but it has a very cool way of weaving Jesus and the Gospel into the Old and New Testament which I think is so often missing from other children's Bible storybooks.

No comments: