Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Answering your questions

Many have asked...

Why are you posting these meals each night?
I decided to write about what I am making for dinner for several reasons:
I am asked so frequently what someone with my food issues eats, and I wanted to have a place to point people with food ideas. I wanted to provide recipes for others who have food limitations. I wanted to show how to cook healthy meals each night with whole ingredients. I wanted to have a log of recipes so I have cooking ideas when I am away from home. I wanted to challenge myself to blog more about something I enjoy doing that isn’t in the adoption/pastor’s wife realm.

Where are these “fancy places” you keep mentioning?
I realize I have mentioned Trader Joe’s, World Market, and ethnic markets. I might also mention a health food store here or there, and maybe even Whole Foods. Honestly, I very rarely go to any of the stores I just mentioned. I know what I like to buy at each of them, and when I get access, I but large amounts! At World Market I buys 4 or 6 jars of Fajita Seasoning and Herbs De Provence each time I visit. This lasts a year or more. I buy all of my rice, tortillas, beans if possible, unique spices, etc at ethnic markets. I usually buy a 4-6 month supply. I go to Trader Joe’s every three months and stock up there. Honestly, I do most of my grocery shopping at Aldi. The food is good quality, the price is amazing, and it is close to my house.

How often do you buy groceries?
We are currently a family of 2 with only one dairy consumer, so I only go shopping two times a month. I go to Aldi on each shopping trip. Every third trip I go to other stores to stock up on things Aldi doesn’t carry. I find the less I go, the less I spend!

How much time do you spend in the kitchen?
Preparing meals is one of my favorite things to do. I could use small appliances to chop veggies, but I LIKE to hand chop them. With that said, I spend on average 90 minutes prepping a meal. Some days are a lot more, some days are a little less.

Curious about anything else? Feel free to ask and I will be happy to answer!!!

No comments: