Tuesday, September 7, 2010

What is for supper day? Day 6: Layer Casserole

So, we actually had leftover Chili last night. I think Chili takes even better on day 2! Since I want to give as many recipes as possible I will include one for a casserole I made at the very end of August and most likely won't be repeating in September.

Layer Casserole
This casserole can have as many layers in it as you want depending on what you have in your home! I love making this casserole in the morning and the just pop it into the oven 90 minutes before we plan to eat.

1pound ground beef (3)
1 onion chopped (3)
3 potatoes peeled and sliced (1 bottom)
1/2 carrots cut into little circles (2)
frozen green beans or peas (4)
1/2 cup rice (3)
4 fresh tomatoes cut into circles(5)
1 can rinsed black beans (I have never done this layer, but could be subbed in for the meat)
salt, pepper, and garlic to taste
1 can crushed tomatoes (6)

~Brown hamburger with onions, garlic and salt& pepper.
~Add rice and a touch of water to meat and simmer for a few minutes while chopping and peeling veggies.
~Layer casserole elements in a cake pan or similar sized pan in the order I numbered them above, with one (the potatoes) on the bottom.
~Pour the crushed tomatoes on top, making sure it soaks down through the cracks.
~Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 1 hour.
~Remove foil and bake and additional 30 to 45 minutes depending on thickness of potato and carrot slices.
~Enjoy! I found this recipe in an old cookbook. It is a very hearty meal and is perfect after a day of physical labor.

No comments: