Sunday, September 12, 2010

What is for supper in September? Day 12: Hungarian Goulash

Hungarian Goulash

olive oil
1-2 lbs of beef stew meat diced (I use cube steak)
1 onion chopped
2 cloves garlic (or powdered)
5 potatoes peeled and cut into chunks
1 green pepper chopped
1 red pepper chopped
2 cans crushed tomatoes (or fresh tomatoes)
All spices are really to taste - remember - I don’t measure anything!
5t paprika
1/2t pepper
1t marjoram
dash of salt
Spice Hunter Creole Seasoning (It is not a spicy cajun, but a sweet creole, yummy!)

Saute onions and garlic with a bit of olive oil
Add paprika
When onions are glassy add meat and brown
Add water until meat is covered
Add peppers and remaining spices
Boil, then cook until meat is tender (1 hour or more)
Add potato and crushed tomatoes
Cook 25 minutes or until potatoes are tender

Serve with rice to stretch the meal!
Brandon enjoys his usual condiment buffet :)
Yes, I know I have a lot of tomato recipes. I will say that we are having a bumper crop of tomatoes this year so I am cooking with them whenever possible.

No comments: