Thursday, September 30, 2010

What is for supper in September? Day 19: Norwegian Meatballs

This is a meal that we didn’t have this month, but that I love so much. This is what my family eats each year for Christmas Eve. Well, I should say, this is part of what we eat on Christmas Eve! This makes a lot. but it is recipe I always use, and I just hope I have a crowd to serve it to!

Norwegian Meatballs and Gravy
3 pounds ground beef
2 eggs
1/2 cup crushed puffed rice
3/4 cup almond milk (or other)
2T minced onions
2t salt
1/2 t pepper
3/4t allspice
1/4 t oregano

Gravy:
5 cups beef stock (this is where I use my beef stock saved from pot roast if I have any or box stock, be very careful with labels)
5T corn starch
Spices: minced onions, salt, pepper, allspice, and oregano


Mix well; form into balls
Brown in a frying pan and place in a large casserole container (or two)
Mix one cup of stock with corn starch to dissolve starch
Add starch mixture, rest of stock, and spices to taste to frying pan juices
Simmer until a gravy forms
Pour gravy over meatballs
Cover and bake for 2 hours at 350
Yields about 20 meatballs

We serve this with mashed potatoes, veggies, and oh so much more on Christmas Eve!

No comments: