Thursday, September 2, 2010

What is for supper in September? Day 2: Spicy Tomatoes and Chickpeas

*Cook's note: I ending up using just fresh tomatoes and it was GREAT! I used maybe 8 smallish tomatoes. Brandon raved about it, even the left-overs!

I modified this recipe from one I found on-line. This time I am omitting the diced and crushed tomatoes and adding several tomatoes from our garden (4 or 6 depending on size) and then a can of tomato paste to thicken if needed. I might drain off some of the extra juice, or simmer longer to evaporate it! We like things spicy so you might want to start will less “kick” and add more as needed. If you have cooked with me, you know the amounts below are totally a guess. I just shake spices until it “looks right” so I am sorry if it is too spicy or too bland. Feel free to get creative! We also like things with lots of sauce to serve over rice. You can omit the crushed tomatoes if you are not as into sauce.

Spicy Tomatoes and Chickpeas (garbanzo beans)

1T olive oil
1T cumin
1 t coriander powder ( I have the little seeds and I crush them)
1 t tumeric
1/2 t salt
1/4 t cayenne
2T lemon juice
handful fresh cilantro if you have it, or 1t dried clintro
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can crushed tomatoes
1 med. onion, chopped
2 cans chickpeas

Heat oil in pan.
Add cumin and cook until it starts to crackle.
Add chopped onions and cooked until soft and browned.
Add all tomatoes, curiander, tumeric, cayenne.
Cook until heated through.
Add chickpeas, salt.
Cook for about 30 minutes.
Taste to see if you need to add more spices.
Add lemon juice over and cilantro

Serve over rice with fruit for dessert :)

No comments: