Thursday, September 30, 2010

What is for supper in September? Day 25: Grandma’s Beef Stew

This is one of my favorite meals of all time! All the F-Family cousins remember the taste and smell of this classic. Recently I learned that even though we often ate it at grandma’s house, it was my mom who introduced it to her family. This recipe was given to my mom in her Home Ec. class and has now become a family favorite. I believe I may have written about it in the past. Sadly, I do modify the recipe a bit, but our family can find the non-modified recipe in the family cookbook!

Beef Stew
1 round steak (1 1/2 pounds typically) cut into small chunks
1 box of beef stock (read label)
2 stalks celery chopped
3-5 carrots (large ones cut into pieces, not baby carrots)
4-5 potatoes peeled and cut into chunks
1/2 c. cooking wine (read label)
water to cover veggies
corn starch

Brown meat chunks.
Mix cornstarch (2T) with some of the beef stock.
Add beef stock and veggies.
Add cooking wine.
Add a bit more water if veggies are not fully covered.
Cook on low heat 2-4 hours
Season with salt and pepper as desired

No comments: