Friday, September 3, 2010

What is for supper in September? Day 3: Stuffed Squash

**Cooks note: Acorn squash works much better than yellow squash! Also, I forgot to mention that I add a bit of San-J wheat free Tamari (GF soy sauce) at the table.

It seems that overnight the weather turned into fall. The air is windy, crisp, and cool. Who am I kidding, you all know how I fell about the winter. The weather changed my meal ideas as well. One thing I do enjoy about the fall is a favorite recipe, Stuffed Squash. It is very simple to make and warms up the tummy on a cold day.

Stuffed Squash

-1 or 2 acorn or yellow squash (we have yellow so that is what I am using)
-1 lb ground beef
-1 onion chopped
-celery chopped (optional)
-mushroom sliced (optional)
-Garlic powder, salt, and pepper to taste

-Half and de-seed squash
-Bake until squash is soft for about one hour around 350 depending on size
-While baking brown meat and all other ingredients
-Scoop squash meat out of cooked squash shell and mix with meat.
-Fill squash shells with mixture and bake an additional 20 minutes

*Fun alternative: Add a can of coconut milk to the above meat and squash mixture and bake for 40 minutes in a casserole container. This makes a creamy casserole on a winter day.

No comments: