Sunday, September 5, 2010

What is for supper in September? Day 5: Chili

It was just a Chili sort of day around here. I am shocked by my menu so far this month because we have had so much ground beef. We don't usually eat it quite this frequently. Long time readers will remember that we purchased a quarter of a cow early this year so we enjoy organic, hormone free, grass fed goodness each time we eat. I am also not ashamed to admit, I love beef! I tolerate chicken and I stomach pork, but beef is just SO GOOD! Anyway, here is the recipe... sort of. This is one of those "shake until it looks right meals" so I have no clue how much of any spice I use. I know that I use a lot of most of them, but you can start with a little and add more!

Shelly's Chili

-1 pound ground beef
-2 medium onions
-1 green pepper
-1red pepper
-2 cloves of garlic + (or garlic powder)
- 2 cans of pure crushed tomatoes (today I used one can crushed an 12 fresh tomatoes)
-1 can diced tomatoes (I omitted this today)
-1 large can pinto beans
-1 can black beans
-rice or apple cider vinegar (I give it a good shake:)
-chili powder
-cumin
-garlic powder
-crushed red pepper
-cayenne pepper
-salt and pepper
- remember all spices are to taste!

Brown beef with chopped onions.
Add red and green pepper and saute.
Add spices to taste.
Add rinsed beans.
Add tomato products.
Simmer, Simmer, Simmer!
Enjoy!

Brandon enhances (ruins) his with huge amounts of gluten and dairy filled items like crackers, cheese, and sour cream :)

No comments: