Sunday, February 27, 2011

My little man in cloth!

(Our sons thoughts on cloth)
"NO MOMMY... Don't make me wear these things!" (This was the "pre-wash" folks, they are not dirty)

"Well at least I will be able to pull these things off and attempt to knock over that rack every other day."


"Maybe this extra padding in the back could be a good thing. It is softer when I fall and balances out my tummy."

(Mommy's thoughts on cloth diapers)
For quite some time now I have liked the idea of cloth diapers. I am not a "green machine" though I know that God did give us dominion over His creation and I do take that seriously and try to care for the earth. I am a HUGE penny pincher. I shop sale ads, appreciate Aldi A LOT, re-use and make do, buy second hand, and go without. Yes, I was going to do cloth diapers to save money.

We were blessed with a total of 17 cloth diapers given to us as gifts as well as some disposable liners and wet bags. I purchased a diaper pail with a gift card and my only true diaper purchases were 2 re-usable bags for the diaper pail, which was not a huge investment.

So in theory I had everything I needed. Sadly, my son's digestive system was not aware of my cloth diaper plan :) I decided this week that we would try to just do cloth half time and disposable half time. This works great right now as we got LOTS of disposable as gifts and if we only do 3 a day we have enough to last us 4 or 5 months!

My little man is fine switching back and forth. Cloth is all he knew until he came here so they have not phased him at all. He did have one nasty eruption in cloth which sort of made me second guess the whole thing, but I am sticking with it!

For those of you curious about M's digestive issues. His doctor did suggest to go off dairy which we tried for one bottle which he was NOT a fan of. I am quite sure it isn't dairy as he never has dairy at meals and every dirty diaper is right after a meal. I suspected gluten and have taken that out of his diet for over a week and I am not noticing a huge improvement. I am thinking we might need to start "collecting" again and run another set of samples to the lab to test for parasites. Since he is cutting THREE molars right now I am going to wait a bit longer to make any decisions.

No comments: