Wednesday, September 28, 2011

"Lava Bars" and other strange things

This post is written to those of you who know our family in real life. Recently our local paper did an article about Celiac. They interviewed me and took photos at our home. Over all the article was quite good, but there were some errors large and small that I want to clarify for those who might have read it and wondered why in the world I said what I said. I will also attempt to post it on my FB page if it has not been removed from the newspaper site.

1. As the blog post title states "Lava Bars" as far as I know don't exist. M does really enjoy Lara Bars. They are nut bars that have lots of good protein for my son who doesn't really like meat. They are not chocolate energy bars as the article states. While they to have a chocolate variety, it says it may contain milk so we have never tried it.

2. This one is a BIG one. While my son was severely malnurished in his early months, he was NOT when we brought him home. The article states he was likely to have died in a week. This is so wrong. Yes, that was the case when he was 9 months old in ET, not upon coming home.

3. Gluten Free foods did not turn my son's life around. The article said that as soon as he tried gluten free foods he began to gain weight and breathe normally. It was actually dairy that made the HUGE difference for our son, not gluten.

4. I am not sure if the formula he was given in ET contained gluten, it did however contain dairy.

5. I never gave M rice based formula though I do give him rice and almond milk.

6. If I only ate gluten free products I would not starve to death, but I would be very unhealthy as specifically gf products are all made to replace gluten so they are all starches and that wouldn't be a very balanced diet.

7. This is a personal combo one. I would love for my husband to be called a pastor and not a Rev. I would also love for my son to be called my son or if appropriate my son who was adopted from Ethiopia, not me adopted son!

It was a long article and interviewed another family too. All it all, it was very good and if not for the stuff about M being near death when coming home I would not have written, but I wanted to honor the orphanage that cared for him and represent his health carefully and accurately.

No comments: