Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Our time with Jack

This post has been in my head and heart for weeks. I really don't know what to say what I want to say even after weeks of thinking about it, but I pray that this post will honor Jack and Sarah and paint of a picture for all of you and for our son as he grows about our time with Jack.

A couple of weeks ago we read HERE about some very hard news that our friends Sarah and Jack Keller received. As many of you know Sarah and Jack were our son's first referral family. If you don't know the story, please read HERE how God did an amazing work to lead M to our family through the Keller family.

Before I tell the story about things of recent I want to go back and tell about August 8th 2008. If you just read (or re-read like me) the referral story, you might think I wrote the wrong year... but I didn't. August 8th 2008 was the day that Sarah and I and other dear friends hung out on our college campus for a mini-reunion. Sarah and I were talking about adoption a mile a minute and my heart was racing and envying her as she told about their home study and the Ethiopia program with their agency. One year later to the day our son was born in Ethiopia... isn't God amazing.

Fast Forward to present day. Our dear Jack received news that his journey to meet Jesus in heaven will come more quickly than many of us. Yes, that is my round about way of saying that he learned that this cancer will take his earthly life. Because of his transplant the time frames are not clear so Brandon and I talked a lot and decided that M and I would make the long trip to Fargo alone and as soon as possible. The details all fell into place and and we planned a quick trip heading there on a Wednesday and coming home on a Saturday. I was pretty scared to make the drive along with M since he is not a car ride fan and since it is about 10 driving hours away from our current home.

The drive:
Wednesday morning we woke up to beautiful fall weather. We packed and prayed and headed on our journey. M did SO WELL overall, though as lunch time neared he was starting to melt. He was screaming EAT from the back seat and having never driven on the road and realizing that it didn't have wayside rest areas I was in a panic. It seemed we were in the middle of no where and there was so little I could do. I told M I was sorry and prayed... well actually, I cried out to God for help. No sooner had I prayed that I saw the steeple of a church. I then noticed the sign reading Evangelical Free (our denomination) and decided to take the exit and follow the service road and prayed for a kind receptionist who would allow us a microwave and a spot to sit and eat and change M's diaper. It was beautiful so we could eat outside if needed and it just felt right. I carried M inside and soon realized it was also a private school at lunch time and their were children every where. We were very warmly greeting by strangers and allowed to eat with the teachers. M was then blessed to play with some pre-schoolers on the playground and I had wonderful conversation with new friends. The stop wore out my son and he then napped for over an hour which was also a miracle. I am so in awe of God's provision for us as we traveled. The rest of the trip went smoothly and we arrived at “the farm” just after 8:00pm.

We got to spend lots of great time with Jack and Sarah and their two blessings on Thursday and Friday. Before I talk about that I must mention that we also were able to spend great time with the wonderful family who hosted us and another dear friend and her sons. We also got to be pretend grandparents for a Kindergarten class, visit my college campus, visit the church I worked at and met Brandon at, and of course an ethic food store. Everything went so quickly and we missed seeing so many dear friends, but we will be back again before too long... this summer hopefully!

When we arrived at the Keller's Jack was at work so we hung out with Sarah and the little guys. M was able to meet Jack's parents who he warmed up to quite nicely and I am hoping at least one quality photo was taken. M did lots of playing with Aaron (he pronounces it something like how he says hummus as Sarah and I were confused that he was hungry and he was just looking for his buddy) and baby Andrew, who he calls Anne-June. The boys played together quite well and have the same passions for trucks, dancing, playing outside, and garbage day! Their might have been a few times that they both wanted the same loader or garbage truck, but over all they did great. Mikias was able to have some cuddle times with both Sarah and Jack. He and Jack had fun dancing together, listening to music, looking at books, playing with trucks, and just being silly. We all treasured time we could spend together. The big boys got to have a bath together and Jack got to give Mikias a bottle and a cuddle.

Spending time with the Keller's was so surreal. They are so special to us. They are the reason we have our son... the reason we are parents. I was so struck by the way they lived each day to the full full fullest! Every moment is treasured at that house. Every family should live this way, but we just don't. Our lives our so busy and so full that we don't take time to live in the moment. I learned so much from them about how to be a mom, a wife, a daughter of the King. I treasured my tiny talks with Sarah during naps. We talked about so many different and special things. Sarah and I have such similar views on so many things so when two kindred spirits get together the topics easily jump from cooking, to schooling, to books we are reading, talks we are hearing, church life, family and more.

I got LOTS of video footage while we were there. I decided quickly to let Sarah handle the still shots and I would stick to video as trying to do both was too hard. I admit that I am not sure what the finished product will be like as I was often so touched and moved and emotion filled while shooting that I would look at the screen and realize I was recording the floor. Hopefully some moments will be captured for our families to share for years to come.

Before we left Jack gave M a special gift. He read one of those talking Hallmark books to our son and that book is something we will always treasure. To say M likes to listen to the book would be an understatement. He can listen to it over and over and over again. While listening he just smilies and says “Jack” :) Jack also prayed a blessing over M. This is something that he did from afar during the entire adoption process. It was so special for all of us to think about the miracle it was that M had made it to America. He was in a home... my home... my family... my heart, yet theirs too. M's adoption is both International and Domestic in my opinion. Watching M with Jack was like seeing M with his birth father in a way. I can't describe it in words that make sense, but it was truly AWEsome.

God is so faithful. We were so blessed to be able to celebrate His faithfulness with Sarah and Jack. Leaving their home brought tears to my eyes. My heart was filled with joy and I knew that 24 hours in the car with my little man were TOTALLY worth it for our time with the Kellers.

No comments: