Wednesday, May 30, 2012

The lure of a good deal... garage sales!

We have been very blessed with hand me down clothes, and toys, and even strollers and changing tables.  I have always thought one day I could see myself as a "garage saler" as it sort of fits my Aldi shopping and coupon clipping personality. 

Last week a friend called me and let me know about a garage sale in an nearby town.  The woman running the sale was done teaching and had LOTS of teaching supplies, posters, books etc.  I was intrigued as a mom who is always on the hunt for good books and extra learning activities.  I ended up finding PLENTY of things I needed and we are now stocked more schooling activities than I imagined while having one 2.5 year old.  Of course it was all for the bargain price of $23.75

After such great success on Thursday I decided to go out again on Friday.  I was in the market for a trike and a double stroller (no this isn't a big announcement, we just walk every day with L and enjoy the freedom of having an optional double stroller as the Burley cart is usually hooked up to the bike these days).  That is all I needed... two items! 

When I arrived at the first sale (a subdivision had at least 4 sales that day) I spotted a double stroller right away.  At $75.00 it was a lot more than I was hoping to spend.  I told the worker that I was looking for something a bit older (and CHEAPER) and she told me she thought the lady next door was selling one too.  Next I spotted a trike.  This was not just any trike, this is the Radio Flyer kind that flips over to become a big wheel.  It was only $10.00  We bought it and hauled it to the car! 

We then walked next door and spotted the double stroller folded up and tucked away in the garage.  I asked if it had sold and the woman told me it had only 10 minutes earlier.  She said the person who bought it was just needing to run and get some cash but was coming back shortly.  I asked if she would mind telling me how much she sold it for and she said $5.00.  I was crushed as it looked like a great stroller and the price was incredible.

Took photo with computer!




Then I spotted THIS:

They were selling it for only $20.00 and I thought it looked great.  I wanted to find one last fall to have some winter fun in our basement, but couldn't find one under $50.  I only had my two door car at the sale so I paid for it and then said I would come back with the truck.  Before I left I spotted a Graco monitor set.  Ours has been making a lot of annoying beeping sounds that M can hear from his room and they actually wake him up.  The woman said it was almost brand new and only $5.00.  I purchased it! 

Once I got home I opened the monitor box and noticed quite quickly that one of the cords was missing.  Bummer!  I decided to bring it back with me when we picked up the fort and ask if the woman would either buy it back or find the other cord.  

On Saturday Brandon (and M and Brandon's dad) and I hopped in the truck to pick up the fort.  As we drove to the house I prayed that somehow the stroller would still be there and I wouldn't have to be lured in to more garage sales for a while. 

When we pulled up I saw it... the double stroller still for sale and still $5.00.  The man never came back for it so she decided to put it out again!  Yahoo!  Better still she couldn't find the power cord so told me she would give me the money back, but I traded her for the stroller!  I couldn't wait to get home and get it cleaned up.  A photo will be up soon once L and M can give it a test run!  No prayer is too small!  God heard my prayers and at least for a while the lure of the garage sale is gone! 

No comments: