Tuesday, May 29, 2012

"Peanut Butter Hummus"

It isn't a secret that M REALLY LIKES what we have coined "Peanut Butter Hummus!"  There is a photo of him enjoying it HERE.  Many people have checked out the Chocolate Covered Katie recipe HERE.  As with most things we have modified it several times.


Here is our version of Katie's recipe:
1 can garbanzo beans, drained (250g)
2 very scant tablespoons of cocoa power
1/4 cup peanut butter
2 full tablespoons of almond milk (or more)
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract (specified gluten/sugar free)
pinch of salt
scant 1/2 cup agave nectar (you can start with much less and taste as you sweeten)


Since I have a slower blender (it has had quite a work out and isn’t the blender it once was), I cook the garbanzo beans with the water from the can for 30ish minutes before starting to blend.

In a separate bowl I combine all other ingredients until mixed well.  The reason I do this is some of the sweetener and chocolate seemed to get stuck in the bottom of the blender.

Drain the chickpeas and combine with other ingredients and blend until smooth. 

We eat ours right out of the blender.  I guess we are dessert hummus purists :)  I think it would be tasty to use as a dip for fruit as well.  I really think it tastes quite a bit like a peanut butter cup and has LOTS of protein!  Enjoy!

No comments: