Thursday, August 30, 2012

What we have been reading

M and books are huge buddies!  I decided to make a post featuring some of our favorite books of the summer.  I looked for the pics of Brandon's books and then my books and then... I admit... I got lazy.  Please feel free to head to amazon and look up all of M's favorite books! 

His favorite authors include Kevin Henkes, Anna Dewdney, Karma Wilson, Jane Yolen, Janet Morgan Stoeke, and Jane Kurtz.  If reading these names means nothing to you, maybe I should mention a few of the titles,
Henkes: "Owen", "Lilly's Big Day", "Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse", "Chester and Wilson" etc.
Dewdney: The Llama Llama books,
Wilson:  The Bear books like "Bear Wants More"
Yolen:  The Dinosaur books like "How Does a Dinosaur Get Well Soon"
Stoeke:  The Minerva Louise books (She is so funny!)
Kurtz: The Ethiopia/Ghana books!

M also loves his "Nicholas Choy" book.  It is a theology for kids book written by a dear seminary friend of ours.  

We are also reading many award winner books and other random books that talk about cars, trucks, being a big brother, making music, and sharing. 

Shelly's Picks:

This summer I read "Little Women" for the first time.  I made it through all 520 pages without skimming!  The first 150 were a bit painful, but the story took off as I had hoped and I can now tell my children that if Mommy read it they can too... if they want... maybe. 

I also learned of and fell in like with Beverly Lewis trilogies.  I read two sets this summer. 

The Heritage of Lancaster County series

  1. The Shunning, 1997
  2. The Confession, 1997
  3. The Reckoning, 1998

The Rose Trilogy

  1. The Thorn, September 2010
  2. The Judgment, April 2011
  3. The Mercy, September 2011
 The series were so good... actually they were too good!  I had a hard time putting them down.  I admit that nap time for M switched from "getting things done time" to reading time.  I know she has many other series and our local public library carries many of them, but I need to get a few things off my "to do" list before I tackle another all consuming series.  Although, it would get me off of Facebook and my obsession with finding out if our dossier is out of translation (Day 29 of the unknown wait... no news). 



 Brandon's Picks:

 Brandon is a reader.  He is always reading a new book.  I will not list all the books he has been reading lately.  Here are a few that he has really enjoyed. 






“Bonhoeffer” by Eric Metaxas
 


“Multiplying Missional Leaders” by Mike Breen

“The Explicit Gospel” by Matt Chandler

No comments: