Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Our second roadtrip of the summer!


-->
We had an excellent time visiting my family earlier this month.  We did another Wednesday to Monday trip.  My parents live about 8 hours away so it was a long day of travel.  T was not impressed with the van ride and M was not impressed with automatic flushing toilets, so the combination led to hours of tears and peeing in tall grass.  M logged in a less than a 10 minute nap and T didn’t sleep at all. 

We were weary when we arrived at my parent’s house, but M was eager to find all his favorite toys and get to playing with them.  T seemed to warm up to a new place quickly.  We had dinner and then got ready for bed and she had no problem falling asleep in a place she had never been before. 

Thursday was a crazy day.  It would have been busy if we didn’t have kids, but with kids it was super busy.  After getting ready for the day we drove about 50 minutes to see my great, great aunt in an assisted living facility.  Marvel is a hoot and sharp as a tack.  I want to be just like her when I am 95. She had gifts for us all and really enjoyed meeting T.  My grandma met us there and then headed home to make the noon meal. 

Hey, this chair is just the right size!

M and T: Our mom is so silly!

T: Finally, a tiara!

M: Bow to me royal subjects.

T: This chair "rocks" I sure am glad Marvel let us take it home!

T: I think I like hanging out with Marvel.  She has so many cool things to explore.
After time with Marvel we headed to my parents new home, another 40ish minutes away.  We toured around and were impressed with all the changes they have done. 

Then we hopped back in the van and drove to my grandma’s 30ish minutes away for lunch.  After a tasty and LATE lunch we got back in the car and headed home for late naps.  We were all a bit tired… but there was still more to come. 

After naps we headed to the waterpark for T’s first time at a pool and slides.  She loved everything as did her big brother.  We didn’t get many photos, but we were having a blast.  T kicks her arms and legs in the water.  She is a natural swimmer.  M loved jumping in over and over again.  They both enjoyed the slides, but I think T had thrill mixed with fear, where M was just smiling the entire time.  



M: It feels a little cold.  T: I know, M.  Maybe we should just stand here and look cute.

T: Hey, this water keeps coming out!
T: I am not sure about this mom.  M: Put your hand down here Grandpa Daryl.

M: I wish we lived closer!

T: This is fun, but so cold.

After the pool we ate dinner, had baths, and crashed.  What a full day!  
 
M: Grandpa Daryl does the best book voices ever!
On Friday we took things much more slowly which was welcomed by our kiddos.  We had a play date with the neighbor’s grandchildren.  It is so special to see my kids interact with the children of the kids I spent most of my summers with.  The shy factor played a huge role in our little play date.  All the moms decided if given a few more hours the kids would be playing like crazy and not staring at each other and hugging our legs.

After lunch the kids went down for nap and my mom and I went off on a shopping spree.  I needed some summer shorts/capris, M’s B-day presents and cake etc. It was so much fun to spend special time with my mom.  I was able to find several things for me and gifts for M too.  We got all the trimmings for a special Birthday party with family.  We also found the brand of hotdogs that I love and purchased a few packages. 

Back at home the kids finished up naps and went to a couple of parks with Brandon and Grandpa Daryl and then to the long anticipated “City Garage” to sit in many trucks, tractors, and other city vehicles.  M loves doing this each time we visit my family.  T loved sitting in the trucks too.  They didn’t remember a camera, but took my “heart pictures” I am sure.  Such special memories created!

M: Hey, did you just see that?  T: What?  I will scale the heating vent to check it out.

M:  Grandpa Daryl is fast, but look at me go!

M:  Sometimes I have to help Grandpa Daryl figure out why the floor is wet.
After dinner we went for a walk and enjoyed one more park before bedtime.  

M: Weee I like the roller coaster stroller.  T: What is going on here?

M:  This is the life.  Can I sleep here?  T: The sky is so pretty.

T: I love parks! YES!!!!!

M: Come on T, brother wants to slide with you?  T: Um, maybe you should go first.

On Saturday morning we drove to my mom’s parent’s farm.  It was a 2 hour drive.  Did I mention that my kids are not overly fond of van rides?  It was so worth it and I think they would agree.  We all had a blast with all of my cousins and their great kids.  T got to meet lots of family and finally got to meet her Uncle Bret and Aunt Joanna. Our kids all played so well together.  We had a bridal shower for my cousin Kelly.  We had great food and conversation and much kid watching.  The kids had tractor rides and four wheeler rides.  We sorted through many boxes of things that my grandparents were getting rid of.  I scored some math and reading books that used to be my grandpas! In full disclosure, I must confess that my parents and their generation arrived at the farm early and filled a dumpster with things from the attic.  Due to T waking up late and the fact that our kids would be in the way the whole time, the families with kiddos arrived later and didn’t get to partake in all the heavy work.  T was a rock star and took an over 3 hour nap in a totally new place.  M went without a nap and boy did it show!  We didn’t arrive home until 10:00 and even we were shocked that T didn’t sleep at all in the van.  M slept the whole way home and T was mostly content so the ride didn’t seem too bad.  

T: It is always good to get to know a bike before you commit to riding it.

This is a great bike!

Watch out.  I am coming through.



M:  I am winning.  E: You started before saying go. 

M: My (Great) Uncle Eric gives really fun tractor rides.  We let Daddy come with us for fun.

M:  Thanks for lifting me Grandpa Daryl.

M: What?  This is the way I walk.  (M loves to strut)

M:  I am really good and sharing (well you were at that moment).

M:  I am about to try a popsicle for the first time.

M:  It was a little bit good and a little bit cold.

M:  Then it kept being cold so Daddy had to finish it.

T: I like to make my Great Grandma smile!

M: I can scratch and smile, see.

M: Read the shirt friends!

M: Can you find me?

T: Kiss kiss with Grandma Kathy.

T: I love these ladies.  (we didn't know the photo was taken but kind of fun)

M: This is why I still need naps!

Awww

JOY!!!!

M: Taking pictures is so tiring I needed to rest afterwards.

The oldest and the youngest sharing a moment.

All six cousins together!

My mom with her siblings (missing one brother who had already left) and parents.
T: So this tractor driver guy seems pretty nice.  He gave me a chip!
T: Then he played with me and I was smitten.  He sure is a "great" uncle.

T: Mommy's cousin is getting married.  We had a shower, but no water to splash in... bummer.

T: See that big guy, that is my Uncle Bret.

T: I like to share with him. 

T:  I am SO big!

M: My second cousins are so much fun! 

M: Grandma Kathy loves books just like me.
On Sunday morning we went to church with my parents and my dad’s mom. My children were by far the loudest there.  Most weeks it is just me with both kids sitting in the front of our church.  My kids are not perfect, but we manage. When we go to visit family we have many more adults than children and somehow they still create a scene.  I think they are used to their church and their style of service.  Hymnals and liturgy are different for them.  Seriously, I am not sure how to hold a wiggly child and a hymnal and try to read the music and sing along.  Wow, it was a mental and physical work out.   I have to chuckle because those that don’t know us might think that we never take our children to church… not quite the reality.  Oh well. 

After church we played and snacked and then ate lunch and took naps.  
 
M: Aww, Great Grandma sure loves me.  Guess what?  I love her too.

During nap time we decorated the house, baked a cake, and got ready for a little surprise early Birthday party for M.  When he came down the hall after his nap I made the mistake of saying “Happy Birthday” as he eyed up the decorations and presents.  He was then very confused about this being his real Birthday.  He asked me if he was 4 now.  When I said no he asked me if he was a little bit 4.  Oh dear.  Once Uncle Bret arrived M got to open presents and dive into his tasty cake.  The cake wasn’t cheap, but for a gluten and dairy free cake I am told it tasted great.  Even my brother had seconds.  Even better than taste was the thrill in M’s eyes seeing a real cake that he could eat.  It was so special to have that time as a family and to be able to share the memories with my Grandma and my brother as well.

M: Can you help me Grandpa Daryl?

T: I want to get down and play with the boxes!



T: Yes, this spot is perfect.  (This reminds me of our cat Tinkerbell growing up)

T: Anyone else think it is strange that my Uncle Bret has a toe the size of my whole foot?

M:  I loved me real cake!

M: I even blew out the candles all by myself.

T: Uncle Bret's hat fits me perfectly!
Bret stuck around and the kids had so much fun chasing bubbles and blowing bubbles with him.  The laughter was priceless.  

T: I know how to get on a trike.  First you reach for the handles.

T: Next you climb on to the seat.

T: Next you sit down.

T: Finally, you put one leg on each side and pedal.  I couldn't quite reach.

T: More bubbles Uncle Bret!

M:  Incredible!!!  T: MORE!!!!

M and T:  YAHOOO!!!  WE LOVE BUBBLES!!!!!
M: Watch, I can blow bubbles too!

After T went to bed M got to stay up a bit later and put together a new puzzle with Grandma and Grandpa.  The pictures will reveal who really put the puzzle together.

M: Yay, I am really excited about putting this puzzle together.

M: I took a little break to let Grandma Kathy and Grandpa Daryl have a turn.

M: After a while they had to study the box very carefully.

M: I went over to talk with mommy and they just kept on working.  Good job guys!

M: We did it! 

M: Oh mom, there is plenty of room in bed for you!

Monday was the big pack up and drive home.  Once again we were thankful for the van.  Packing goes so quickly when you have plenty of space to put everything.  On the way home we had a very special stop to make.  We were less than one hour into our journey when we stopped at my dear friend Jessi’s home. 

Jessi and I have been friends since we were pre-school age and had many wild and crazy adventures growing up.  We played “pop store”, “restaurant” “video store”, “travel agency”, “hotel”, “home for teen moms” and so many more games.  We were so in touch with our imaginations even long after it would have been “cool” to play the games we played.  We never dreamed in all of our playing that we would share a “wild and crazy” adoption adventure together as adults.

After years of praying we were finally going to spend time together as life long friends, and moms, and adoptive mom buddies, and transracial families.  Isn’t God cool!  Just 3 weeks before our trip to see my family Jessi and her hubby got a call that changed everything.  The became parents to the sweetest tiniest little peanut I have seen in a long time. We got to meet sweet E.  It was so special to see my kids love on this brand new baby.  M was very gentle.  T thought she was being very gentle, but wasn’t quite as gentle and I would have liked.  Our time together was so precious.  It was far too short and the time went much too quickly, but we still had a long way to travel. 

M: E was so tiny and I was very gentle.

M: Hi baby E.  I am holding your legs all by myself.  You are so beautiful.

T: Check out what I found.  I thought I would try it in my mouth.  It was awesome.  I can see why babies love these things!

M: While Mommy talked I decided to play a song or two.

M: T do you want to play with brother?

M: We sound great!

The crew!  My kids looked so huge next to sweet baby E.
The kids did pretty well on the way home.  T even slept for 30 minutes, a miracle of sorts!  They were so very happy to be home.  We all had a great time, but it was heartwarming to see how joyful our kids were to be home. 

The time with family always goes so quickly.  We are on the move quite a bit and we are trying so hard to pack so much in to such a small amount of time.  Sometimes during the trip I shake my head and wonder why, but reflecting on it weeks later, I am so thankful that we did all that we did and saw all that we saw.  We are very blessed!

No comments: