Sunday, November 3, 2013

Traumaversary on Orphan Sunday



November is National Adoption Awareness Month in America.  Today is specifically Orphan Sunday.  Today is a very significant day to us for reasons relating very much to orphans so that is what I really want to talk about today.  

This is not going to be a super light post.  It most likely won’t make you laugh.  It might make you cry.  It might make you want to adopt, but friends, it might make you not want to adopt.  I pray that it will open your eyes to children who desperately do need families, but that it will also open your eyes to the realities that adoption is HARD. 

On November 3rd 2009 (yes that is exactly 4 years ago) Brandon and I mailed in our application to begin our Ethiopia adoption journey.  The night of November 2nd I actually slept with the manila envelopes (2 because we had a home study agency and an International agency).  I told Brandon that it felt like we were conceiving this adoption so I needed to at least put the applications under my pillow.  Before we sent them off we prayed over them and they were off to agencies.    

If this was the end of the story it would be sort of cool.  We started our paper chase 4 years ago and now we can celebrate that on Orphan Sunday… well there is more to the story. 

You see, November 3rd just happens to be the day that M came into orphanage care.  I want to tell you a little bit of M’s story.  His Story is his to share and we will be sharing it with him along the way as he grows.  This is not his Story with an “S” but a bit of his story that I am pretty sure I have not shared on here. 

On November 3rd 2009 M came into care in Ethiopia.  He was in a government run orphanage.  He was about 3 months old.  Here is a photo of him at that time, chubby cheeks and overall happy personality. 

Poor little man had no idea that he was now an orphan waiting for a family.  Harder still he had no clue that this orphanage was severely underfunded and that food (formula) would be hard to come by.  M in the next 6 months would not gain a single pound!  He didn’t grow in any way.  He didn’t meet any developmental milestones.  He lacked one of the greatest needs an infant has, nourishment.  He most likely would go long periods of time with very watered down formula or even just water. 

We have no idea what it was like for him emotionally during that time.  Because we visited his orphanage on our embassy trip we know that it appeared to be a very sad and dreary place.  We do have hope that from time to time volunteer groups came and brought love and joy and food and prayers into our son’s life. 

 When he was rescued from this orphanage and taken to the care facility associated with our agency he was barely hanging on to life.  A social worker from our agency was visiting the orphanage and saw him and said that he was coming back to the care facility with her.  This is not protocol, but by God’s great grace the orphanage let her telling her they didn’t want to deal with a dead baby.  She feared he would not make it back to the orphanage.  The Doctors who saw him early on said he was within days of dying of malnutrition, Global failure to thrive.  This means every part of him was struggling to live. 

Here is what he looked like at 9 months of age.  This is a 3 month onesie.  It is falling off of him. 

I do not pretend to know ever reader to my little blog.  I do not pretend to know what your growing up was like or the needs you have had that have been unmet.  While I can’t speak for any of you, I can speak for me.  I am 32 years old and I have never endured anything close to the trauma that my son had endured by age 9 months. 

The next months of his life were filled with food and care at our agencies facility and slowly be began to gain weight and very slowly he began to meet milestones.  He sat alone for the first time at 14.5 months of age.  He was WAY behind, but he was alive. Thanks be to God!

So, in short November 2009 was a HARD month for our little man. 

November 2010 was not a walk in the park either.  On November 11th 2010 my life changed forever.  For the first time I held MY SON!  I kissed him and loved him and watched his chest move up and down as he slept.  I held him, rocked him, fed him, and sang to him.  I got to pretend it was the real deal for about a week. You can read about our Court trip to Ethiopia HERE.  Then, because Ethiopia is a two trip country, I had to get on a plane WITHOUT my son.  Once again he was abandoned in November.  This time he was at a better care facility for sure, but he was very ill with pneumonia when we left him.  Over that week we began to bond with him and I shudder to think what his heart must have been feeling when we no longer came for visits.  
One of the last times I held him before we left.  He fell asleep in my arms that night.


It is now November 2013.  Years have passed since those hard Novembers, but each year at this time M begins to struggle deeply in all areas.  Yes, I am serious.  No, I am not wacky or making things up or justifying behavior.  This time of year is very hard for M.  He works hard to sabotage everything he loves.  I am not saying that he is typically a perfect little 4 year old or that he ever has awesome behavior.  I am saying that this time of year his behavior can only be understood when you look at it through the lens of his past.  Friends, it is hard to endure for all of us right now.  Oh how we covet your prayers!

If you are reading this because M is a part of your life and you are interacting with him regularly you will notice that all things are a bit harder for him right now.  He works very hard to ruin things he loves. Why would he do this?  His mind thinks, “they will just abandon me” and “I might as well get it over with.”  I am trying to tell his mind (and I say it out loud too) “I know you are struggling right now.  I forgive you.  I love you.  I will never leave you.”  After many days of struggling and a lot of wisdom from adoption connection experts we have told him about his traumaversary in a way he can understand and we have shown him photos to talk through this time of year with him.  He can’t verbalize why he does what he does, but we are quite sure this is the trigger.  So in this season parenting is done differently. You might notice him spending more time in the Ergo carrier.  You might notice him acting like a 2 year old and me parent him like he is 2.  I am working to meet his needs.  While it might look strange, we are OK with it. 

Adoption is NOT easy!  Adoption is HARD!  The process is hard for sure.  It is taxing in every way.  BUT the hardest part of adoption is the day in and day out of dealing with the trauma and loss as you graft this incredible child into your family.  What I wrote above about November is just a part of what adopted kiddos deal with.  The trauma of losing everything they have ever known to be (what feels like) kidnapped and taken to a place where everything is upside down is enough to cause deep wounds and heartache. 

M was not the only kiddo in that orphanage.  Some of them didn’t make it.  Others are in forever families and struggling.  Others are there right now.  They are real.  They have needs.  My heart breaks for them. 

Adoption is beautiful.  Adoption is at the heart of the Gospel… redemption.  We who know Christ have been adopted into his family.  I am not anti-adoption at all.  Anyone who knows me knows that I think adoption is incredible.  Will parenting adopted children bring more issues than you can imagine into your family? Yes!  Is it worth it?  Yes!

I love my son.  His heart is so worth fighting for.  I am so blessed to be his mom.  I ache as he aches.  I hope this season of struggle is short, but no matter the length I am his mama and I am fighting the battle with him.  Jesus is victorious.  Those words can sound so trite at the end of this post.  We don’t know when our little earthly victories will come, but we know the End and we know that Jesus Is victorious. 

You see God has been in this all along.  On that hard day for M 4 years ago his mommy was sleeping with an envelope (ET is 9 hours ahead of us) and praying for him. He was an orphan, but God knew he would soon be “one less.”  God created him and God sustained his life all those months in Ethiopia.  Today my son (besides his small stature) has completely caught up with his peers physically and mentally.   Jesus is Victorious!  

*I realize this is not your typical Orphan Sunday post and I didn't really mention T at all and I don't have super cute after photos of them today... but today I want the reality of being a orphan to be engrained in your brain!  


No comments: