Friday, February 7, 2014

Blessings, Gifts, and Praises

 I don't do New Year's Resolutions.  I know I don't keep them, so why make a big deal about starting something the first day of the year.  This year I did start something the first day of the year, but I wouldn't call it a resolution exactly.

A woman in my connection based parenting group wrote about a practice she had of trying to write down 5 good things that happened each day at bedtime that night.  In parenting trauma kiddos our minds easily go to the HARD stuff of the day and we forget to think about the great stuff both big and small.

I decided that I would start writing about my good stuff on January 1st.  So far so good!  I keep a running list and most days I have well over five.  I don't love to journal.  I don't write fancy and most of the time I am in a hurry.  Many of the things are not profound, but they are there, on paper!

I have been amazed by how many GREAT things happen each day.  Our days are so filled with gifts!  At first I thought "1000 gifts" in a year would be a goal, but now I am guessing I could be closer to 3000.  My life isn't super easy right now, but if someone looks back on my blessing journal (or journals) from 2014 they will be in awe of the great work God is doing each day in my heart and life! 

Friends, you don't have to wait until next January 1st to start this.  Maybe tonight before you go to bed you could write down your five things.  It is so fun to see the pages fill!  Many of you who read this blog are frequently mentioned in my journal.  It is such a special way to end the day giving praise and thanks to God for the blessings of the day!

No comments: