Thursday, February 6, 2014

Play-dough!!!


Sometime in the middle of all the crazy cold I decided we needed to make some Play-dough.  It just so happened to be a night that Brandon had a meeting.  Amazingly K and J (some of M's favorite people) were able to come to our house during the meeting.  After the meeting when I told Brandon what the kids did I am pretty sure he thought K and J were forced into the play-dough play, but they truly enjoyed themselves!

I used a very simple recipe:
Mix together
2 c. Rice flour
2T Alum (in the spice section of grocery stores)

Heat to boiling:
1 1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sea salt (you could use cheap stuff, but I didn't have any)
1T. oil (I used olive)

Stir liquid s into dry ingredients.  Knead until smooth.  Store in airtight container.

It lasts and lasts.  You could add a couple of drops of food coloring to the water, but we don't have that here, and since I know my kids might sample it I would rather they not eat food dye.

My kids did sample it.  I think T swallowed some of it.  She had a cold at the time so we will call all the salt healing :)

Everyone hard at work.

T: I really needed a drink, this snack is salty!

M is proud of his creation!

T: I needed a second drink after all that salt!  J made some great looking people!

I was quite surprised to come home from an evening women's event to learn that the dads and kids left behind all had play-dough adventures because K and J asked to play it again!  The dads enjoyed themselves too!
5 kids, 3 dads, and play-dough makes for a great Friday night!
Brandon left the party to put T to bed and came down to discover that M was not the only Sound of Music lover in the bunch.  Jesse's phone was playing the soundtrack that M is addicted too and everyone there was singing along!  Wow do we have great friends!!!!

Proof of the great tunes!

Sound of Music and Play-Dough party!  Brilliant!

No comments: