Saturday, March 14, 2015

Christmas Wrap Up 2014



** This is really happening friends!  iPhoto is still a big mess and years and years of photos could take a LONG time to sort through, but I was able to gather the Christmas photos and the 2015 photos so this blog post is just the beginning of lots of catching up.  Make sure to check the blog daily in the next weeks as I will try to keep the posts going to get caught up.  I wrote the Christmas blog post over a month ago (still late then... I know) so it will be interesting to add the photos and see what I wrote.
-----

Nothing like a super cold day in February to get my jump started on my Christmas blog post.  Actually I have no idea when this post will actually launch because iPhoto is not working well on this computer.  This is going to be a LONG blog post.  This is going to have LOTS of photos.  This might appear like a "highlight reel" and not typical life.  I assure you that most of my life isn't a highlight reel, but the days I recounted below were truly anointed.  The Lord allowed us to experience many days with little or no dysregulation.  As the road trip got closer to completion we did start to see dysregulation happen, but it was much less than typical and we are so very grateful for our wonderful Christmas! 


December 23rd:

Today was M's last day of school before break.  His class was having a Christmas Party and they did a little concert for the parent.  M wanted to look "dapper" so he insisted on wearing his suit.  He did indeed look very handsome.  He did such a great job at his concert.  I am so thankful for a small town where all the songs were about Christmas and the words Merry Christmas were heard over and over again.  Oh what fun it was to see him excited.

Programs and a sign greeted us as we walked in. 

A Candy Cane Song

"Santa had a Christmas Tree, ho ho ho ho ho!"  


Snack time!


M with his buddy J.  He thought she looked "Ooh-la-la"


M with his amazing teacher Ms. Mardy!


Early present from his Swiss buddy K! 

That night my parents arrived once the kids were in bed. My parents actually got here a bit earlier and circled the neighborhood until they saw that our front light was on and they guessed the kids were asleep.

I was able to get all the meatballs formed and the sweet potatoes cooked for our big Christmas Eve dinner.  It was fun to begin to smell the smells of Christmas in our home.

Christmas Eve December 24th:

We had a GREAT Christmas Eve.  This is not a statement that many trauma mamas get to say so if you can, take a moment and just thank God that the first little sentence was indeed a true statement.  M doubled up on his L-theanine in hopes to calm some anxiety. 

The kids were so excited to see Grandma and Grandpa when they woke up!  My parents brought a platform therapy swing with them and much of the morning they spent in the basement with my kids getting the swing  up and testing it. The swing was a great activity to promote regulation and to have special fun with my parents.

M: I love my new swing and my Grandpa Daryl!

While the crew was in the basement and Brandon was working (Christmas Eve is a pretty big day for him) I was in the kitchen cooking away.  We didn't have a huge variety of food, but we did have some of our very favorite dishes.  We had Norweigan Meatballs and gravy which is a big job to prepare.  We also had mashed potatoes and my grandma's cream style corn.  We had incredible insanely high calorie and still somehow Shelly safe Sweet Potatoes.  Dessert was a simple fruit plate.  We also had gluten free lefse later and crock pot fudge which would have been pretty brilliant if I hadn't put way too much chocolate to not enough sweetener.

Our dear friends Charissa and David and their family joined our family and my parents for a late lunch.  It is a tradition that we all love and it works well too since their family is highly involved in the service and this way they are right at the church and can begin working right after we eat.

Lunch was a huge success.  I actually ate my meal when it was warm.  There were no outbursts.  There was much eating and chatting and smiles and joy, such joy!  What a treasured memory.

After lunch both kids went down for a nap and the kitchen got cleaned up.  Then we got ready for 4:00 church.  I am so thankful for nursery workers so that I could really feel a part of the service.  T just can't make it through with her sensory seeking needs.  The service was so perfect.  It church was packed and everyone was sparkly and smiling and cozy.  OK, the church was more like HOT than cozy.  It was so packed that the air conditioner actually kicked in!  I am very grateful that my parents were able to be here for a Christmas Eve service.

Our Family Christmas Eve 2014

So happy to celebrate with Grandma Kathy and Grandpa  Daryl. 

Brandon stayed at church to prep for the next service, but the rest of us came home and ate a light dinner with plenty of fudge.  My parents watched and played with the kids while I went back for the second service.  It was special to be able to see everyone.  I am thankful that my parents were able to be here to help with the kids and make this possible.

After the service we came home and got the kids to bed.  This is the time each year when Brandon and I typically completely crash in exhaustion and I start crying about my long to do list with no way to conquer it.  This did NOT happen this year.  We didn't travel this year on Christmas Day so there was no overwhelm in my heart!  Once the kids were in bed we decided to open presents with my parents.  We all opened and enjoyed our gifts from each other.  We could take time to appreciate them and to chat and laugh.  We ended the night setting up the stockings and getting all of the kids presents set up. It was perfect.


One Happy Mama! My weightless super warm jacket and my hat which keeps my ears warm in sub-zero temps.  Wonderful Presents indeed!

The kids presents sorted on different sides of the tree and ready for morning. 


Christmas Day December 25th:

M was up early.  I don't remember the exact time, but I think it was before 5:00.  I ran downstairs and got our big basket of Christmas books and told him he could look at books in the room until 6:00.  He agreed to this.  At 6:00 he woke Grandpa Daryl and they came downstairs, but were only allowed to go in the front family room.  They played with cars and read books.

We woke T early though I am not sure if the exact time.  She was so thrilled to see my in my PJ's.  It is truly one of her favorite things in the world.  So cute.

The kids were very excited to open presents.  They did such a good job taking turns and expressing gratitude and  joy and it was incredible.  I felt like we were in a different home.  My heart explodes with happiness as I look back.

M: I can't wait to see what is in my stocking. 
M: Can we read these right now? 
T: There is more and more and more in here!
Making music on Christmas Morning.  
New robes were a hit!  Now we can all wear robes together! 
T: I have on my new robe and my new puppy purse!
Beautiful weather!  Perfect for a silly string battle!
M: Watch out everyone I am ready!
T: Thanks for helping Grandma Kathy!  This is fun!
Simple Joys!

My little super hero!


My favorite fairy princess!



M: I don't ever want to stop!

M: Here I go!

T: I love my new baby high chair.  I look just like a mom!
We had been attempting to feed the squirrels in our yard all winter.  My dad sent some field corn home with us from a Nov trip and the squirrels were not eating it.  At all!  It just sat in the yard where we threw it.  My dad shows up and the squirrels go crazy.  They grab the cobs faster than we could imagine.  M and Grandpa Daryl spent a lot of time watching the squirrels and keeping the Christma Buffet going!  My dad is apparently a squirrel whisperer.

M: Come on squirrels. 

Books with Grandpa Daryl

Books with Grandma Kathy!

Two Super Kids!
After the presents were opened and the kids used up their silly string on each other (outside) it was time for breakfast.  Excitement was high because pancakes were promised for breakfast, but eggs were to be eaten first, because carbs and sugar without protein equals disaster.  The plan worked well.  It was a relaxed morning.  The adults all eventually got ready for the day as some played with the kids.

There were leftovers of lunch and naps in the afternoon.  Brandon even got in a Christmas Day bike ride thanks to the warm temps!  M and Grandpa Daryl played in the sandbox with some of the new gifts.  The whole "no snow thing" isn't very typical for us.  I missed the snow, but the warmth was lovely. The whole day was relaxed and so very different than our typical Christmas Day adventures.

That night after the kids were in bed Brandon and I and my parents ate Lefse and then popcorn and watched Snowball Express. It is a cheesy 80's movie that I remembered loving as a kid.  It was so low budget, but fun to watch and a nice end to a great day.

Travel Begins December 26th:

Today we headed to Brandon's parents house.  My parents were great helpers as we packed. The kids were playing away in the basement and were almost totally unaware that we were packing.  This made the packing go so quickly. 

M: Breakfast with the squirrels, yahoo!
A very busy squirrel!


We all ate an early lunch and then got on the road.  The weather was great.  It was 54* when we arrived at Brandon's parents home.  We were able to unload the van without wearing jackets.

We only had to make one stop on the journey and arrived after just six hours and ten minutes!  I am not going to lie and tell you the drive was magical and as amazing as Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, but it was much better than the Christmas Day drive the year before.  Much better!  Thankfully I had a huge stash of gum to chew to keep me awake as I drove.

Brandon's parents were excellent greeters and their house was so festive and cozy.  They had food ready for us. M and Grandma Judy put on a little concert. The kids didn't nap in the van at all so the fell asleep very easily which is always nice.  We had a good time to chat with Tom and Judy and then were off to bed.

A little concert before bed.

2 More Christmas Celebrations December 27th:

Grandpa Tom got up early with M so I was able to go back to sleep.  I am so thankful for both Grandpa's willingness to get up early with M.  Hopefully Brandon will do the same when we are grandparents one day.  M had a very sweet reunion with their very special dog Maggie.  He really loves that dog.

*March Update* It is heartbreaking to type this.  Sweet Maggie dog died last week.  She ate some raccoon poison that neighbors put out and could not recover.  We are all mourning this sweet dog.  Putting up these pictures is now so bitter sweet.


M: Good morning girl.  Would you like some food? 

M: Here you go, don't eat it too quickly. 

M: Great eating Maggie!

M: I sure do love Maggie!


This morning we went out to "The Farm" where Uncle Curt lives.  The kids played with cousin's A and A and with Brandon's cousins as well.  The kids had many gifts to open from Brandon's aunts and uncles.  It is fun to see them start of a bit shy, but then quickly settle in to some great playing with everyone.

We were also at the farm to eat "Breakfast," although it was lunchtime when we ate it. It is one of Brandon's favorite meals of the year. Lots of people, lots of food, and for the mom who has allergies and is trying to feed her kids who also have allergies it can feel like lots of chaos :)  I learned for next year that every bit of food the kids and I eat is going to be ready to go before we leave Tom and Judy's so that I don't have to go into the kitchen.  I think this will make the "Breakfast" more fun for me too.

M: I wonder what it could be? 

T: Dr T is here. 

T: Your ear looks great!

Finding a way to play together!

Four happy kids in one photo!  Very impressive!

T: I get to pet Jo! 


M: I sure love playing with T and T!  I think I wear them out!

More crafting!

M: Taking a little break with my buddy T!


After eating we all packed up and headed to town to see Great Grandma R.  We took many family pictures and enjoyed time chatting with her.  We could tell she had lost much weight from the summer, but she was still very sharp and it was special to all be together with her.

M and T: We got to look at A's screen! 

All the kids!

Grandma R. with her Grands and her Greats!

Why not have two photos?!

Grandma R. with her children. 
T became M's special buddy this year!

T: Yay, another screen! 

After the photo session we went to Tom and Judy's and the kids crashed.  After nap Adrienne and Chris and the kids came over and we had a Christmas dinner together and opened gifts.  M loves playing with big A.  He thinks A is so fun.  It is sweet to watch them interact.  T and little A did quite well together.  T showed no aggression on A which is pretty remarkable!  The kids loved their gifts.  M was very excited about a framed photo of Maggie.  He can now look at her every day.

T: Thanks reading book Dad!  I like your necklace!

How could I not include this action shot of Brandon's sister A? 

M and T: We are walking on stilts!


M: The best present ever!  A picture of Maggie for my room!


M: Thank you for giving me this photo Maggie!  


So sweet!  These girls are so close in age.  The remind me so much of each other.  It feels like they look alike.  I get that they don't, but the do match in personalities and long hair.



M: Big A is so much fun!  I am so glad he is my cousin!

T: Like this new orn-ment I got you and opened for you Grandpa Tom? 

T: I love my new doll and my orange snack. 

Grandparents and the grands!  

Do you think she was a bit excited for the dance party to begin? 

M: A and I liked to wrestle instead of dance. 

M: Well sometimes we danced. 

M: But, mainly we wrestled!

Four dancers!


After the kids were in bed we had a great time talking with Tom and Judy.  They are such wonderful in-laws.  I am so thankful to have married into such a stable, connected, compassionate, thoughtful family.

December 28th:

Today was a low key day.  M started the day with a garage baseball game! T played dollhouse with Grandma Judy. The rest of our morning was spent at Adrienne and Chris's new home.  The built a house near Tom and Judy and it was our first time to get to see it completed.  Their home is beautiful and a reflection of their years of planning and an entire year of building.  The kids all played so well together.  I felt again like I was living in a dream.  There was no aggression or icky words, just cousins enjoying each other.

T:  This is so much fun. 

M: Garage Baseball is great. 

M: Ready Grandpa? 

No faces visible, but beautiful parallel play happening!

Two busy chefs!


Two busy mamas!

And now they are chefs again! 


After lunch the kids took naps and Brandon and I left for a little movie date.  We were able to see Unbroken.  It was an intense movie.  I was on edge the entire time as was the whole theater.  I am so thankful we were able to see it and have some time alone together as well.

That evening A and C and the kids and Judy's brother Curt all joined us for dinner.  Curt stayed and played many many rounds of hide and seek with all four kids.  What a treat for the parents to talk with each other and watch our kids laughing and playing together.

Curt was so popular he needed to sit at the head of the table to be next to both boys!

Ring Around the Rosie. 

We were in a near panic before bed when we could not located "Tired" T's beloved blanket, but after a long search we were able to find it!  Whew!

December 29th:

Today we went into town to visit Brandon's Grandma R in the nursing home (after  some early morning baseball of course).  We had a very nice visit and were able to take some photos with her.  The kids did quite well and enjoyed playing with all of G.G. R's singing Christmas decorations.  Judy came along to entertain the kids so that Brandon and I would have more of a chance to talk with Grandma.  Her voice was strong.  Her stories were a mix of new news and family memories.

M: Whoa, the ball was coming right at me! 
M: I just can't get enough Maggie.  She sure was loved well!

T was proud to show G.G.R her new panties!

A sweet smile from Grandma R. 

Our last family photo with Grandma R. 

We also got dental exams and cleanings in.  I am happy to report that no one had cavities!  We came home and had a summer meal in the winter.  This meal would have been appropriate for the weather we had a few days before, but the weather turned cold.  Tom grilled hamburgers and we made oven fries and pretended it was a summer night.  The only thing missing was watermelon!

After dinner (Big A joined us) the cousins played so well together.  It is so sweet to see them play and imagine together and to remember how special it was for me to play with my cousins when I was little.

M: Thanks for helping me, A. 

M: The track was so cool!

M: I wish I could hang out with A every day!


After the kids were in bed Brandon and I had such a good talk with Tom and Judy about life and death sort of things.  We talked much about Grandma R who was doing OK, but we could tell her health was declining.  Amazingly I think the Lord was preparing us for what would soon be coming.

December 30th:

This morning Brandon got up and went in to visit Grandma R again.  It was a very special time for him.  He talked with Grandma about her funeral and her wishes for it.  She was talkative and shared much about what she wanted.  While the topics were deep, the time was still very sweet. We didn't know that it would be the last time Brandon would see his Grandma R.  She passed away quickly, just a couple of weeks after Christmas.  The time we were able to spent with her was priceless.  She was an incredible woman.

Meanwhile back at Tom and Judy's things were pretty quiet.  T finally realized that her body needed sleep and slept way past her light!  Tom took M to the Y and they were gone for a long time.  This meant that packing was going very swiftly and things were quite ready to go by the time Brandon came home.

A little concert during packing. 

T: Hmmm where should I put the wise man? 

I know, the roof!

M: T, you can't put him there?  T: I will protect him.  He needs to stay there! 

Overall the trip home was pretty uneventful.  I think we stopped only once for the bathroom and made pretty good time coming home.  We had curry chicken for dinner and we got all the packing done after the kids went to sleep.  It felt so good to have our travels complete! I wrote THIS blog post about our many road trips in 2014 and how good it felt to be home for a while! 



Whew, that was a lot!  Thanks for reading about our Christmas time adventures!


No comments: