Friday, July 24, 2015

Summer School is AMAZING!!!

This is a real time post!  This happened today!  I usually post things long after they happen so this is kind of a big deal :)

This year both of our kids were able to take part in our local summer school program.  It is an incredible program.  It runs for five weeks each summer (two 2.5 week sessions).  Each day is broken up into 4 periods of class.  Because both of our kids are in the Early Childhood program, they were sort of in a typical pre-school setting.  They didn't rotate rooms, but the class had a schedule much like their typical day at school.  This is super for my kids to keep them in the school routine.  It was also great for M to be with peers as the kids he was with last school year were a bit younger than him.  

Our kids each went to two periods of class.  T went two days a week and M went all five day.  The both rode the bus.  Sadly (for mommy), their classes were at opposite times so there was a lot of making sure I was hope for drop offs and pick ups.  The blessing was a lot of quality time with T each day while M was at school, and quality time with M while T was at school.  

In their classes they have centers and work on letters and numbers and social interactions etc.  They also do music and crafts.  The kids did some awesome crafts this summer!  They loved their teachers.  The teachers are all quite young and fun.  T loves to be with pretty ladies so I heard a lot about some of her favorite teachers! 

Once kids have completed Kindergarten, they are able to choose from probably over 100 classes to take during summer school.  Where I come from, summer school is remedial teaching for reading and math.  While reading and math classes are offered (in fun ways), there are so many other awesome classes too.  Next summer M will be able to take music classes, art, dance, various sports, swimming, languages, science and really anything you can imagine... for FREE!!!!  It is basically like an entire line of up summer rec classes provided by the school for free for local kids.  An added bonus is that it is open to kids in private school and home school families too. I could not believe it when I first heard about it, but now I know it is true.  Have I mentioned once or twice how much I love my school district?  Abounding blessings!  I can't wait to give reports next summer of M taking a drumming class or a parachute class or a fishing class etc.  He will have a blast! 

We have heard a pretty good report from school so it sounds like they did quite well.  We have heard of a possible time-out, but maybe just one.  Sadly, we have seen a lot of new behaviors and words enter our home as a result of the peers the kids have met.  My kiddos are so eager to impress and be accepted that they will copy words and actions to get reactions.

We are now ON OUR OWN for five full weeks before M's first week of Kindergarten.  There is a bit of excitement as I imagine a more relaxed schedule, but there is also a bit of fear as my kiddos thrive on structure.  I am scheduling many fun things to do in August and my children know about none of them so please help keep my secret.

And now... back to photo blogs... hey at least I have finally caught up to July! 


No comments: