Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Thanksgiving Weekend 2015

*I tried to reset all the alignment for this post twice and it keeps reverting to this strange random pattern.  I have no idea why.

We had a lovely time with my family over Thanksgiving break.  I can't believe how quickly the time between Thanksgiving and Christmas flies by!  I guess Thanksgiving was a few weeks ago now... wow!  

Wednesday, November 25th:
M and I woke up at 6:00.  We woke Brandon and I hopped in the shower.  After I got ready, Brandon got ready.  We were both ready well before T woke up.  We decided to tell M about the travels so that we could get some packing done before T was added to the mix.  We were shocked by his response.  He burst into tears... of sadness.  He loves his grandparents, but he hates long car rides.  2014 was so full of car rides, but 2015 has been lacking in the road trip department.  He finally calmed down and ate and started to get a little excited about the journey.  T slept in and we got all of the packing/loading done except what we needed from her room, before she got up.  We were able to get on the road before 9:00am.  This never happens.  We were thrilled!

We tried something new on this journey.  We decided to eat while I drove.  This way we only have to stop to use the toilet or fill up the tank.  It saves an hour of time and A LOT of sanity.  Stops are miserable and the kids eat very little and we lose time and momentum. The plan worked perfectly!  

We arrived at my Grandma F's shortly before 2:00pm.  We were able to enjoy an hour of time with her and with my Aunt Julie and Uncle Gary.  The kids enjoyed playing and wrestling with Gary.  M learned to make stars before we left home (like that morning he figured it out) so he made some for Great Grandma! My grandma is doing so much better than she was this summer.  It is amazing to watch her thrive now that she is at her home.  My mom and her sisters take shifts caring for her 24/7. This is a huge job, but when I look at how far Grandma has come, I know they are making such a beautiful sacrificial choice.  Grandma is thriving at her home!  It was so hard to believe that she was the same woman who could not stay away at the transitional care facility this summer.  She looked great and seemed to have her personality back as well. 

M: I just learned how to make stars today.  You can keep this Great Grandma! 
M: It was fun to share with Great Grandma. 
T: He's got me M.  Help! 

T: More tickles Gary!  M: Oh no, he's got me too! 
Great Grandma with M.  
Great Grandma with T!
After the break we hopped back in the car for the last 2 hour stretch.  This is always painful after the stop, but we pressed on and arrived at my parents right around 5:00.  It was so good to be there early and not have to rush the kids to bed.  We had a relaxing meal and slowly unpacked and played before bed.  

After the kids went to bed my mom and I ran to Target to look for a Christmas tree.  Our Target was sold out and there was a 50% off sale ending that night.  We scored a great tree... actually two trees.  Both the ones Brandon and I were considering were in stock so we just got them both.  I eventually took one back, don't worry.  

After the Target shopping we decided to go over to Menards to "get steps" because I had been sitting in the car all day.  It was a fun excursion.  

Thursday, November 26th:
Thanksgiving day started early because M could not wait to spend time with Grandpa Daryl.  M sat in bed with my parents and told them all about a movie he watched on the way to their house.  They were impressed with all the details he remembered. 

The day looked pretty wintery. There were snow flurries in the air.  It was beautiful!  We had a busy morning preparing for our lunchtime feast.  I made the stuffing.  It was my first time having stuffing since 2003 (12 years).  I baked three loaves of bread I could eat during the week leading up to Thanksgiving.  It was all a pretty long process, but in the end, the stuffing was pretty tasty.  

Cooking with my mom!
My dad gave M a job.  He told M to make place cards for everyone.  M wrote out several names and gave everyone stars.  It was a good job for him.  

M: It was a pretty big job.  Grandpa Daryl helped me. 
T kept busy in my parents room.  She found some Lego's and made a tall tower.  She was quite proud.  

T: My tower is bigger than me!

My dad's mom Grandma B arrived early and the kids enjoyed spending time with her.  The kids were so excited to see their cousin A arrive.  M did a pretty good job calmly talking to her, but T was all over the place.  Calm isn't really a part of her vocabulary!  

T: A!!!!!!!!!  Let's play Barbies!

Grandpa Daryl was needed to help calm T down a bit!
T: I sure love this guy!
It wasn't long before M started to get hungry.  He needed some chips and salsa.  Brandon thought he looked pretty convicted eating out of the Vikings bag. M didn't seem to care at all.  He was wearing another shirt earlier in the day, but quickly switched into Packer's gear. I am sure my parents will get a few comments about his shirt because we took Christmas photos later that day.

M: Chips and salsa are always the perfect snack.
The kids invented a game where A lightly taps the kids and then they pretend she knocked them over and they fall down.  A LOVED this and the kids loved that she loved it.  I am not sure it was the best game, but they were all laughing.

A: They fell down quickly! M and T: You are so strong A! 
Then the moved on to wrestling! I think the kids sometimes forgot how much younger A is than them.  She is getting close to their size, but is much younger than them.

T: Haha I got you both! 
We decided to start the picture taking with the three cousins with my Grandma.  T was a little shy about Great Grandma, so Grandpa Daryl joined in the picture too.  We took a lot of shots! 

Sweet kids!
M: A still loves to touch my curls.  Great Grandma likes them too!
Then T realized that Great Grandma's outfit sort of matched hers.  Suddenly she was Great Grandma's BFF!  She was eager to cuddle in for a picture.  Sadly the moment for all three was over.

T: We match! 
I LOVE this picture!!!
Next it was time for the cousin photos.  There are only three of them, but getting a good picture was not easy.  At least they are all smiling in the photo below, even if none of them are looking right at the camera.

Cousin Loving! 
We decided to take a quick family picture as well.  We are not very coordinated, but the picture turned out well and we take such few photos of all four of us.

Our Family Thanksgiving 2015
Joanna ran a 5K in the morning (in the snow and wind and cold) so she arrived last. T was very very happy to see her.  She jumped right into Joanna's arms and we decided we needed to take a picture.  A was not sure about T's love for her mom.  

All the ladies!
After the photo T declared that she was going to change shirts so she could match Joanna.  I brought along a black shirt so I guessed she would put that one.  She came upstairs with cuddle duds instead.  She was very proud to be matching Joanna. 

T: Now I really match my best Joanna! 
Once everyone was there we started taking the full family pictures.  We were hoping to get some good Christmas card photos.  I think we ended up with a winner.

Four Generations! 
The last photo pose we attempted was Grandma and Grandpa with the kids. We worked hard trying.  T was pretty oblivious to our efforts. 

M: OK T, I will put you into Grandpa Daryl's lap.  T: No, I want to sit over here!  M: OK, I will go in Grandpa Daryl's lap.

G and G: Are you ready for he picture T?  T: In the minute guys, I have to check out my nails.  M: Hey there A. 

Everyone: Scoot over T, it is time to take the picture!  T: What?  I am all the way scooted over.  Everyone: Scoot the other way, next to Grandpa Daryl. 

T: This is as close as I can get. 
T: This feels much better!  I like to be cozy in between you two! 
And then they were done.  T got up and declared...

T: Take a picture of just me!
and then M got up and said..

M: Now take a picture of just me. 
Then we knew, the window had been closed.  The photo shoot was over! 

Finally it was time to eat!  The food was a very tasty.  My mom made my favorite pumpkin pie.  Later we realized that we didn't take any pictures of the actual meal.  

After lunch there was a lot of playing and laughing and photo taking. 
M: I sure love spending time with Daddy! 

T: I was already hungry for more pie.  A: T is so funny! 
We all spent a good amount of time looking at Black Friday flyers. I think there were some future shoppers in training.

T: Do you think we should buy this?  I want every single pink and purple thing, OK? 
M: Even when I am not at school, I just can't stop writing and working.  I love learning and practicing my letters and words!
A rare calm moment while they look at a nursery rhyme book. 
M: I bet you can't reach this high.
M and T: We have an awesome Grandma.  She likes to wrestle around and play with us. 

T: I've got her!  M: Here I come! 
A: I am the tallest one here.  T: You are pinned now M!
Eventually T got so tired that I needed to put her down for a nap.  While she napped, my mom and I took a walk.  It felt good to move after the big meal.  It was nice to talk with my mom as well.  The snow was done falling and the roads were already dry. 

The rest of the day is a blur.  I am pretty sure it was leftovers and playing with stickers and reading books and going to bed early. 

Friday, November 27th:
M was up pretty early this morning.  He told my parents about another movie.  It turns out this is a great routine for them as my parents can continue to relax in bed. My mom and I went Black Friday shopping.  Well, I am not sure if you can really call it Black Friday shopping if you don't go until after 9:00am.  Technically you can, but I wanted to clarify that we are not the type to get up at midnight and shop, or to stand in long lines for electronics. There were still great deals to be had, but no craziness. We were hoping to get some steps in the process, but as it turns out, shopping is a lot of standing, but not that much actual moving. 

While we spent three plus hours shopping, Brandon and Dad did some great kid entertaining.  They had many fun outdoor adventures!  

First they had to feed the squirrels. 

T: Grandpa Daryl, help me get it on all the way! 
M: I've got this! 
They also fed the birds.  After all the wildlife had food, it was time to play.  My parents have a little park area with some fun play stuff.  Because of the frost overnight, the slide was VERY slippery.  I guess the kids went down pretty quickly!
M: Do you promise to catch me? 
This summer the kids got to peek into a nest with baby birds.  Dad got out the ladder and showed them that the baby birds were gone.  He explained that it was too cold for them.  T must have been listening well because she still talks about them.

T: It is too cold for the birds.  They had to leave or they would have died. 

T: Maybe if we wait quietly they will come back? 
By the time mom and I got home, the guys and the kids were eating.  It was lovely to just come home and dig in to tasty leftovers.  After lunch I got T down for a nap and realized that I really needed to go for a walk to get some steps.  Brandon was sleeping on the couch.  Dad said he and M would go out the the shed so mom and I could walk.  What al blessing for everyone.  Mom and I got our walk in and M and Dad had a great time in the shed.  Dad's shed is insulated and has a wood burning stove to keep it nice and toasty in the winter.  M helped dad get the fire ready.  Dad also taught him how to chop word for kindling.  M LOVED it!  He didn't want to stop.  I think he would have chopped around the clock if we would have let him.  After the walk I grabbed a camera and took some pictures of him.  He was so proud.   

My dad would get the piece of wood ready and then M would smash it down.  

M: First you lift it high in the air.  

M: Then you smash it to the ground and it comes apart. 

M: See that fire in there?  The kindling I helped chop started that fire.  

That evening we did lots of playing and lots of eating. M y mom made an apple crisp for Saturday.  It smelled so good.  The kids did projects and coloring.  We listened to a lot of music and read books. 

Saturday, November 28th: 
We spent the morning and lunchtime at my Grandma's house.  Bret and A were able to join us too.  The kids played very well together.  Grandma made a huge delicious meal.  I ate a lot for the meal and then ate the best apple crisp ever... and I couldn't stop myself. I ate A LOT!  Everything tastes better at Grandma's house.  After dinner the snacks continued.  Grandma even sent us home with snacks for the car ride.  What a blessing.   

Grandma's dog Ginger is usually very afraid of children.  She has been very gentle with A and when we arrived she rolled over at T's feet so T could rub her belly.  Such a sweet dog. 

T: You are a good dog Gingerbread (T renamed the dog)
Uncle Bret was definitely the main attraction.  My kids were drawn to him constantly and he willingly allowed them to climb all over him.  It was so sweet to see all three kids playing together.
M: I sure am glad you are here Uncle Bret!
T: Watch me ride the chair!  M: Hey, I want a turn!
So we all knew this would happen... all three children needed to ride the chair at the same time.

So much fun!
T: Do you like having this flashlight in your eyes Uncle Bret? 

T: I will just jump on top of you M.  

M: T!!!  You are heavy!  A: Now it is my turn to jump on your back, right T? 

Check out A's red lips.  I am not sure how that happened. 
M: It just felt so good to cuddle with Uncle Bret. 
The next photo brings such a smile to my face.  My dad was trying so hard not to burst with laughter. M was trying to get the little footstool to move, but he didn't have any feet touching the ground.  It was almost as if he was trying to willfully command it to move.  This was not effective, but it was hilarious.  After a while of trying, T decided to get on M's back as an effort to help him.  That just made things funnier.

M: How come I can't get this thing to move? 
A sure is getting big!  She is catching up to my kiddos quickly!
Grandma was so happy to have both her grandchildren in her home.  M needed to be in the picture too. 
A rare photo of the weary parents without the kiddos! 
After our time at the farm we came home for a late nap for T.  Mom and I walked again and M and Grandpa chopped wood again.  Brandon got a couple more shots of M's favorite pastime.  You can tell the fire had been going for longer that day.  M is just wearing a hoodie!  

M: See Dad, you just chop it like this.
M: Then it just splits right into two! 
The late afternoon and evening went by quickly.  Soon it was time for bed.  Brandon and I decided on a tree and mom and I returned the other tree. 

Sunday. November 29th: 
M slept in!  Yahoo!  I got up with him and started to get myself ready and begin packing.  We were quite productive and were able to leave shortly after 9:00.  We had a pretty uneventful journey home. The kids are just not used to long car rides anymore.  It felt very long to them.  Sadly we got into a bit of traffic that delayed us quite a while.  We were all weary when we got home.  Poor Brandon had to entertain the kids while I made dinner.  My job was the easy job for sure.  By the time the kids were ready for bed, we were most of the way unpacked.  It always feels so good to get everything put away after we travel. 

We had a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend with our family!  We are very blessed and thankful to God for such a dear family! 

No comments: