Saturday, September 10, 2016

Our MN Adventure 2016!

I am finally sitting down to write about our trip to MN.  As I looked at the pictures and wrote I was feeling so thankful for the simple joys of time with family.  We are very blessed indeed.

Day One: Wednesday, July 27th

The kids woke up and were surprised to find out that we were heading to MN.  Everything ran smoothly until we started to actually load the van.  We were all getting dysregulated but then something wonderful happened.  We got a knock on our door!  The handyman who was going to be tearing our our old bathtub arrived to begin the demo.  The kids were thrilled to watch and we got loaded quickly.  The bathtub is seriously its own post so I will just leave you to wonder about that adventure!

We got on the road around 9:30 which is pretty impressive for our family!  The drive went very well. We only stopped once on the was to my Grandma's house.  While stopped, T threw her blanket "tired" in the gas station sink.  Gross!

We planned to stop and visit my Grandma on the way to my parents.  Grandma was awake when we arrived.  We were hoping she had already had a good nap, but were sad to hear she had been awake all day.  Brandon and I were able to spend some time with Grandma while my uncle Eric took the kids on 4 wheeler rides to see the cows and cats.  They had a blast.  My aunt Pam and Eric also colored with the kids.  The kids really enjoyed the attention and the opportunity to be wild after being in the car for many hours.  Brandon gave Grandma communion.  At the time, Grandma was not doing so well.  She seems to have rebounded a bit, but I guess each day is different.  There was a weightiness to the visit and I got emotional after leaving the farm.  She is a wonderful grandma.  It is hard to see someone you love not be as you remember them being.  My mom and her sisters continue to care for Grandma 24/7.  It is a very tiring and taxing and draining labor of love.  I sure have a wonderful family!

T: I was telling them a story and Pam was shocked to hear it.  
T: Great Grandma loves my stories!
T: Let's go fast Eric!  I am so glad that M let me go first!
M: I love spending time with Eric!
M: Eric was pretty good at Rock, Paper, Scissors. 
T: I had fun coloring with Eric, but I did have to remind him that it wasn't a competition!
A beautiful walk to the mailbox!
I can tell we are related! 
The next picture didn't actually happen this day, but it fits best here.  All three sisters were at the farm at the same time so they were able to get this picture.  I think it turned out very well.  Four beautiful women!
My mom (in green) and her sisters with Grandma

The kids are never eager to get back in the car after a stop, but we made it on the road again. We had a couple downpours.  I am not a fan of rain driving.  We finally arrived at 6:20.  Brandon and I were hungry, but as usual the kids wanted to do every single fun thing in the first 30 minutes.

First they played outside and checked out the new swing set that Grandpa Daryl built. My parents have quite a set up in an area that we refer to as their "park." After playing we convinced them to eat and then play more while we unpacked.  They got to bed a little later than normal which was just fine with them!
T: I have a good horsey.  I rode on his back right up the stairs!
T: I am riding a horsey looking at a picture of a horsey.  I have wings in case I want to fly later. 
After the kids went to sleep I was able to go for a walk with my mom.  After being in the car all day it was nice to get in a walk.

 Day 2: Thursday, July 28th

We all had a rough first night of sleep in a new place and then we were all up early!  Brandon brought his road bike and was eager to try out the new paved trail.  He biked 44 miles! While Brandon was biking mom and T did make-up.  T was LOVING all the make-up options.  Poor girl is stuck with me for a mom.  I wear make up to hide bags under eyes, break outs, and sunburns haha.

M and T: Any day that starts with Chocolate Chex is a good day!
T: YAY!  Makeup!

T: I know just what to do with this stuff!
T: Can you tell I have lipstick on? 
T: Sometimes Grandma had to help me. 
T: Grandma is really good at playing Little People!
M and dad went fishing and caught over 25 fish.  M just kept catching them.  He had a blast. I was so weary from the drive and the rough night of sleep I napped for two hours. This never happens in "real life" so I was very thankful to be in a place where I could catch up on sleep.

M: Here is one of my great catches!
M: Check out this beauty!
M: This one was so heavy!
A photo from the biker...
Suddenly the paved trail just ended...
While I napped the kids played in the sand and enjoyed time outside. Mom and T gave "Tired" a bath in the sink.  It is so gross to see all the dirt that comes off of that blanket during a bath!

M and T:  We sure are glad you have your own park Grandpa Daryl! 

We eventually had a tasty lunch.  The kids love eating here.  M eats everything.  Apparently it "tastes better when Grandma makes it."  I am not insulted for two reasons. 1. It is true!  2. I feel the same way about my Grandma's food.

After lunch T took a much needed nap.  M went with my dad to check out a war helicopter and tank.  I think he was impressed. On the way home they saw a lemonade stand and M was thrilled to drink LOTS of it.  Once they got home they did a lawnmower ride.  Mom and I got in a walk.  Brandon stayed home while T napped and read and rested.

After nap Great Grandma arrived, then Joanna and Cousin A, and finally Uncle Bret.  The kids were so excited to see A.  They are all getting to be close to the same size and they really enjoy each other most of the time.
Grandma brought some huge beans. 
T: I decided to make a card for Great Grandma. 
T: I only wanted Joanna to brush my hair!
We did our best to search of a local photographer, but we were not successful.  In the end we just decided to use my mom's camera and a tripod.  It was pretty intense to try to get the kids to look at the camera etc.  I was sure we would not come away with a single good picture.  I was wrong.  Somehow we managed to capture several sweet poses!

Everyone is looking at the camera! 
A little pose change up.
Cute cousins!
T: A and I are matching, like twins!
Enjoying the swing set that Grandpa Daryl built!

After the photo drama the kids played at the "park" in the backyard.  Suddenly we saw lots of wasps or hornets and then T screamed. T had been stung in the arm.  We went into the house and tried to soothe her.  She calmed down quickly but then was very clingy.

We ate meatloaf (which I have FAILED to recreate since home so I need the recipe mom) and blueberry pie and ice cream for dessert.  The kids were tired and soon it was bedtime.


Day 3: Friday, July 29th

I am so thankful that we all had better sleep than the previous night.  What a blessing a good night of sleep can be.  A came to the house before daycare so M got to enjoy special time with her.  They read nursery rhymes together.  It was precious.  M was very eager to go fishing again.  He was frustrated that someone else was fishing in their spot and wanted Grandpa Daryl to ask them to leave!
A: Read it again Grandma!

T had fun playing with toys and crafting.  Grandma Kathy is a great sticker collector so T is always making projects when we visit. After M got home from fishing he watered flowers at the cemetery.  Actually, I think my dad did most of the work, but he helped a bit.  Once the work was done they did more playing at the park.  I am so thankful for this park.  My parents live in a GREAT location.  They essentially live in the country.  They have tons of space to run and play.  They also live very close to town so we can walk and go to parks etc.

M: It is fun to play trucks with Grandpa. 
T: The stroller really helped me to roller skate better!
T: I love to take random sand toys with me when I go down the slide!
We had lunch and then T napped.  My dad and M went fishing AGAIN and then on a bike ride.  Mom and I went on a walk again.

After T's nap we we went to a lake to swim.  Mom and I didn't get in the water, but the guys and the kids did.  It was a lovely beach and they all had fun.  As we were leaving we ran into some friends of my parents who were camping there and looking to relocate in the area.  It was fun to see them again after 20 years!

A great day at the lake!
M: Yahoo!!

Cousin A and Bret joined us for dinner and playing.  It is so fun to see the kids together.
After bedtime I went shopping with my mom.

After dinner time outside is great. 
M: I look just like Uncle Bret.  T:  I sure do love my Uncle Bret!

Day 4: Saturday, July 30th

Today was my 35th Birthday!  Wild!  I was not looking forward to this Birthday.  I loved the 18-34 age demographic.  I think I loved it more and more as I was in the upper end.  It was great to be around family while celebrating this milestone.  I am thankful that I am healthy and fit and active and feel much younger than 35!

The kids made cards while I showered and Brandon biked.  The cards were so packed with stickers  and love.  So sweet.

M and T: We made cards for Mommy!
Not long after we were all showered my Grandma arrived.  It was fun to celebrate with her too. Brandon, Bret, Dad and M all went fishing.  The women all stayed at the house.  T decided to open up a beauty shop and paint nails.  She painted Great Grandma's, A's and her own.  Impressive.

T: Are you ready Great Grandma? 
T: Great job holding still!
T: It takes a lot of concentration! 
T: Oh this is a much better position to paint in. 
T: Great Grandma and I were both wearing pink. 
T: I decided to paint A's nails too. 
T: Great job sitting still A!
Lots of lovely painted nails!
T: I tried to teach a the game, but it is hard to explain!
Once the nails were dry we went out to play at the park and gazebo.  While we were in the gazebo the guys arrived home.  The fishing trip was a bit more eventful.  Apparently M fell in.  He was wearing one of my dad's T-shirts. He also kissed a fish with pictures to prove it!

Thankful to spend my Birthday with this beautiful woman. 
T: I taught A about bring lots of things wherever she goes.  Cool huh? 
Meanwhile the men were fishing...

M: Look what I caught Dad!
M: It was so fun to fish with Uncle Bret.  He is really tall.
M: I need a little help Grandpa Daryl. 
M: I was pretty proud of my catches!
M: Are you sure all fishermen kiss their fish?  For real? 
M: OK, I will!  I am a really fisherman now!
M: The worms aren't so gross after all. 
M: I fell in and Grandpa let me wear one of his shirts. 
T: I am ready to catch the bubbles in my mouth!
Lunch was a bit crazy.  That might be an understatement.  There was A LOT of dysregulation.  It is pretty hard on a member of our family when it is someone else's Birthday.  He tries so hard to sabotage our joy.  While we know it will happen and we prepare mentally for it, it is always hard when it does.  Harder still when others are around.  We made it through though!  We then declared that everyone naps at nap time.

Both kids were happier after nap and I was too because I got a walk in during nap time.  The guys took the kids over to A's to see the chickens and play.  The kids had a great time and stayed regulated the whole time.  Mom and I prepped dinner.

T: I loved A's doggies and chickens!
M: They sure were getting big!
M: Ready for the ride of your life girls? 
M: I don't know about this! 
M: She has actually really improved.  T: I am a great driver now!
M: A did a great job.  I was right next to her to help. 
T: It sure is nice that Bret and Joanna have these  bears in their yard! 
My Birthday dinner was amazing.  It was a combination of all my favorites!  I love charcoal grilled hamburgers, fresh sautéed mushrooms, fresh from the field and not overcooked sweet corn, and "candy" melon.  I had them all... in one meal!  It was perfect!  We had apple crisp and ice cream for dessert!  Yummy!!!

The perfect meal!
Smiling with my mouth full! 
Fresh apple crisp and ice cream.  Happy Birthday to me!

After dinner the kids had a very regulated time swinging and telling "Yoda stories" which is their version of Star Wars.  Having never seen any of the actual movies, they just made up their own content.  So funny!

It took a long time for the kids to get to sleep, but when they did I was greeted with so many lovely FB messages.  Facebook really does make Birthday's extra special.  As I was writing thanks to each person I took a moment to reflect on and thank God for my relationship with that person.  I am a blessed woman indeed!

Day 5: Sunday, July 31st

Dad and M went fishing one last time.  While they fished Brandon and I got lots of packing done.  We were able to get on the road shortly after 9:00.

We decided to take a new way home.  We made two wrong turns and dealt with some roadwork, but we think the new route could be a great option.

We came home to a mess... but I promised I would write about the bathtub in a different post.  We were glad to sleep in our own beds and thankful the long drive was behind us.  We were blessed by our time in MN!

No comments: