Saturday, January 7, 2017

Home Fun/ Homework

First grade has brought about some big changes for M.  One of them is homework.  Overall, M enjoys doing his homework as long as T is not around while he is doing it.  He gets a math worksheet on Monday, books to read on Tuesday, handwriting on Wednesday, and books to read on Thursday.  Besides the daily assignments he has reading to do each night.  He also does a spelling/sorting program called Words Their Way.  It was stressful figuring it out at first, but now we have the hang of it.  Sorting and spelling is our 6:00am date each morning.  

In early October M was given a big project.  He had to do a habitat diorama.  I was nervous about his willingness to actually do it, but he did it just as he wanted to and it turned out great.  His animal was the rattlesnake.  We learned a lot about rattlesnakes!

T brings home "home fun" to practice her letters and numbers.  She loves having assignments like M. She also works on her own projects at her desk or in the family room almost every day.  

M: I was working on my very first homework ever!
M: Painting makes me crazy. 
M: Just kidding, I actually loved it. 
M: All finished.  I love the red mountains, don't you? 
M: It was a lot of work. 
M: These were my first words for Words Their Way!
T: This was my first homework ever!
T: I am a good 2 maker. 
T: Just me and a giraffe!
T: I made this creation. 
T: I love to cut apart pictures I make and glue them on different papers. 
T: I wanted to make sure the teacher knew I could go to the party!

No comments: