Monday, January 16, 2017

The Journey to Medication

This post... I have been drafting it for months and months now and yet I know I want to, need to address it. When I wrote our 2017 UPDATE POST I mentioned that M started taking meds this fall.  It was not a decision we entered into lightly.  Meds came after talk therapy, IEP's, EMDR, Neurofeedback, Occupational Therapy, play therapy, TBRI parenting, Essential oils, Supplements, and more.  We navigated through 3+ years of failed treatments until we found ourselves at a place we just couldn't function in any longer.  Our wonderful Dr S suggested we explore medicine and referred us to an amazing woman in her office.  She was able to speak with our future prescriber and this allowed us to skip a round of paperwork and get right to business.  

M takes two meds each day.  One helps with anxiety and one helps to lower his blood pressure to keep him calmer.  Honestly, we might get better outcomes with higher dosages, but we like small dosages.  We have noticed some significant improvements since starting the meds.  Things are still VERY VERY hard.  I think many people read the 2017 update and were impressed that M was doing so well.  I mentioned in it that he had gone one day each month without a rage.  While three rage free days is HUGE, that means that 147 out of 150 days he still had rages.  I am not trying to be a downer.  I want to paint an accurate picture of reality because I think that it might be easy to assume that "meds make things better."  In reality, hard consistent work, a huge team of professionals and friends, millions of prayers and meds allow us to take very tiny steps in the direction of healing.  

If you are curious about more specifics about our journey, please send me a message or comment on this post with a good way to contact you.  I never publish comments so it is a safe place to share. 

If you are new to our journey with trauma, my neurofeedback POST is full of links to many other posts that explain our long journey so far. 


M: Chick-Fil-A is the best place to go after a Dr. visit.
M: Silly faces!

No comments: