Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Banking, earning dimes, and a screen free summer!

If you know our family well you know how much we love our bank.  The kids truly can't wait to go there as they have a little pretend bank (like a children's museum), a fancy ride-on car, suckers, pretzels, red vines, fresh cookies, stickers, trinkets, cartoons playing etc etc.  They love the bank!  

At the beginning of the summer the kids took their money to the bank.  As you can see from the photos below, we have one child who is a bit more of a saver than the other child. 

Our kids are really into making money, so we gave them a challenge.  We would give them a dime every day that they didn't look at a screen or ask to look at a screen.  They both asked, or cheated once early one and then nothing... as I write this in September our dime a day deal is still going strong!  Are there exceptions?  Yes!  The kids get to watch one movie on Sunday mornings now that Brandon is preaching again.  This is literally the only way I can shower before church so it works.  If they choose it kindly, turn off the screen when the movie is over, and get along they can still earn a nickel on those days.  The other major exception is long car trips (like out of state).  On those trips they get to watch two movies total so they have to space them out with books on CD.  Our kids love audio books so it works out well.  Now that they are back at school, they are getting screen time there, but our home/community rule continues.  My heart smilies when I think of the many hours of time we invested in books and play this summer vs. youtube videos and movies.  It is NOT easy, but many great things are hard!  

M: I love to save my money!

T: I love to spend money, but I did find a few coins in my room. 

M: I feel so at home in our bank! 

No comments: