Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Life is FAIR!

One of our highlights from the summer of 2016 was our time at the local county fair.  As soon as we got home we raved on and on to Brandon about it and told him he had to come with us in 2017.  Amazingly, his sabbatical was happening during the fair this year so he was able to fully engage in the fair fun!  

The kids didn't know that we were planning to leave on a big road trip the following morning.  We were able to set up a play date for both of them at a friends house while we packed as much as we could ahead of time.  

The forecast didn't look so good when we picked the kids up from the playdate and it started to rain by the time we got to the fair.  It was chilly and wet, but we were committed to going and trying to enjoy ourselves so on we went.  

The time at the fair started off pretty rough with some wristband confusion, but before long we were off to enjoy the fair. It rained off an on all morning, but that didn't stop us from riding.  They were only able to do the slide once because it is dangerous when wet, but the other rides remained open! 


Monster Trucks!

Getting ready to go!

And they are finished!

T: I went on the Bee ride all by myself!

T: Hi mom and dad!

T: Really mom, three pictures from one ride?  (They were all too cute not to share)

M: I love being at the fair with mom!

T: My horse was beautiful!

The kids spent a lot of time on the rides that were not actually rides.  The was a climbing thing, a fun house, and a mirror house.  The fun house was their favorite.  I did the climbing thing with them once and my foot landed in a huge puddle so my sock and shoe were soaking wet, but better me than the kids!

M: I was up pretty high!

T: Hi Dad!

I think it was a mistake to take the backpack!
Brandon and T went on T's first ever roller coaster.  It is about the most tame one I have ever seen, but a small sign of the thrill seeking to come!

T: I wasn't nervous!

T: I knew the front row would be the most fun!

T: We went really fast!

Next up was the Ferris Wheel.  I stayed on the ground and both kids were able to ride with Brandon.

M: It wasn't my favorite.  T: I loved it!

Take a girl with no impulse control and put her in a room of mirrors... interesting. 
M LOVES bumper cars.  T is OK with them, I get pretty motion sick, but I did go on them with T.  Brandon started out with M, but the person running it said M could go alone because he knew what he was doing.  They went over and over again.  The beauty of the wristband! 

In motion!
M:  It was fun to ride with Dad...
M:... but it was REALLY fun to ride by myself!

T: I got to ride with Daddy since M could go alone. 

After bumper cars we had just enough time left for the swings.  M watched the first go around and then when he determined it wasn't too scary, he decided to try it too!


T: Whee!!!!

T: It is going to be fun M.  M: I'm not sure. 

M: It was actually pretty fun!

When the wristband time was over we decided it was time to check out the animals.  The animal highlight was the pigs!  We met a boy who let the kids go IN the pigpen with his pigs.  His pigs were so friendly that one of them even licked M's hand.  M was pretty sure he wanted to take them home with him.  We were so thankful for this kind young man!

T: It was OK petting the pigs, but I was ready to get out pretty quickly. 

M: The pigs were so nice.  First they sniffed. 
M: He is sucking on my finger!
M: It tickles!!
We looked at lots of other animals, but took some time to pet these very clean sheep!

M and T: They were very calm!
After the animals it was time for the music show!  This year BOTH kids got to be a part of the show.  The man would tell T not to play then turn away and push a button of a drumming song and then turn back and accuse her.  The kids thought it was simply hilarious!

T: What??  I wasn't drumming!

M: It was pretty fun!

T: I was drumming and shaking something at the same time.  M: I was a little nervous.

After the fun music show we decided to check out the 4H buildings.  The kids got to do crafts and have their faces painted by other kids.  It was so very precious.  The boy doing T's tried so hard.  

M: I think I could be a farmer!

T: Let me try this. 

One cute chick!

A smiling horse!

A baa-ing sheep

T: It was fun to have a kid do my face paint. 
T: I got a butterfly!

T: This boy painted it!

M: I loved the face painting.  First I got a spiderman. 

M: This kid painted it. 

M: I went back later and got a batman. 

In between the spiderman and the batman paint, we attended a magic show.  Both of our kids were chosen to be part of it again!  They had a blast!

T: I was trying not to peek in the box.

T: I got to use a wand!

M: I was supposed to hold all this rope.

M: He made the ropes all the same length.  I don't know how. 

The wand looked normal, then it fell out. 

M: I tried another wand. 

M: Look what happened to that one. 
The kids laughed and laughed!  After the show we went into the building that gives away free stuff and you can sign up for things.  The kids scored popcorn and lots of candy.  They got little trinkets and balloons.  We were there all afternoon and didn't spend any money.  We were so blessed by our day at the fair.  

No comments: