Tuesday, October 10, 2017

When the kids are away...

... the parents will play!  If you read yesterday's post you know that Brandon and I enjoyed a stay-cation while the kids were with Tom and Judy.  We had so much fun enjoying time together and enjoying things we love.

I spent a lot of time sorting things in T's room.  I think about 13 hours if I remember correctly.  For the last year I have been throwing clothes in bins and it felt good to sort things and pass things along to our friend A.

Brandon and I enjoyed eating our favorite foods, going out to eat, spending lots of quality time together and watching good movies.  We also got lots of yummy treats to eat! I discovered some new flavors of crunchy Lara Bars and tried some amazing chocolate Coconut Bliss.  OK, now I am getting hungry!

We both did lots of reading for pleasure and for study. I read Hillbilly Elegy.  It was a fascinating read about a people group I knew little about.

While Brandon was on sabbatical we watched more movies together than we had in years.  Almost all of them were based on true stories, a genre both Brandon and I love!  We didn't watch all of these in one week, but throughout the summer.  Since we liked them, I wanted to mention the titles incase any one reading this is looking for a good movie to watch!

Lion - A must watch for every adoptive mom and dad!
Hidden Figures - The space race, racial issues, women's rights.  Incredible movie!
Race - A powerful movie about sports, racial issues, WWII!
Sully - What happened after Pilot Sully landed on the Hudson.  Wonderful!
McFarland USA - High school student athletes, fascinating story.
Woodlawn - Remember the Titans meets Rudy meets Facing the Giants!  Loved it.
I'm Not Ashamed - Rachel Scott's Columbine story.  Very emotional.
The Pursuit of Happyness - A father and son rise out of poverty.  Excellent writing and acting.
Invincible-Bar tender walks on to Philadelphia Eagles team. Good movie, but moved slowly at times.
My Big Fat Greek Wedding II - Funny, but not as good as the first.

We did take a few photos during our time without the kids.   We didn't spend all of our time together. We both worked on projects and did things that were life giving.

Brandon biked a LONG ways!  He always bikes a lot, but anytime you go over 100 miles in a ride you know it is a very long ride!

I think his bike is smiling!

I was able to spend an afternoon with a college student and hear all about her Summer Project and how God is at work in her life!  We walked out to the lighthouse which I hadn't done since right after moving to the Lake!  I conquered my fears!

Almost there!

Heading back to shore with this lovely lady!

I also got to have some good long talks with dear friends and take some long walks!   Our community is in the process of building a new high school.  I just happened to walk by when they were tearing down one of my favorite parts of the old school.

Sad to see it go, but excited for what is to come. 

The area behind the stop sign used to be a building  A strange sight. 

Brandon and I both truly enjoyed our time without the kids and felt refreshed and ready for the final weeks of summer vacation!

No comments: