Sunday, April 29, 2018

Rollerskating after a 25 year break


Each year in late February our church rents out a local Skateland for a fun night of skating.  Each year until this year I have stayed home and relaxed.  This year I decided to attend the event.  I didn't know if I would skate, but as the time got closer I decided to give it a try.  

25 years ago I was rollerblading in front of my house and took a bad fall and messed up my knee.  My knee has had problems various times since then.  My knee cap doesn't want to track properly.  Anyway, I was not eager to get back into skates, honestly, I was afraid.  

I put them on and practiced quite a bit on the carpet.  I felt a bit unsure, but I managed OK and decided to try the actually floor.  T had the special walker and we skated together. 
T: Mommy did such a good job being brave!

After just a couple laps around the floor they announced that races would begin.  Little girls went first.  T really wanted to join in, but with the walker she was MUCH slower then the rest of the kids.  The announcer was awesome and let the other girls do two laps while T did one!

T: I was ready to race!

Shortly after the little girls race came the adult women's race AKA the mom's race.  I decided to partake in it, but went no faster than I had previously in the night... which was VERY slow.  I was last in my race as well, but I stayed up which was most important.  

As the night went on I remembered all the roller skating I did in my grandparent barn growing up.  I felt more and more confident and went faster and faster.  It was SO MUCH FUN!

Feeling confident!

So glad I overcame my fears!

Both kids did pretty well and the limbo!

T: It was really hard not to put my hands down. 

M: This was my favorite part of the night!

M: I got in the top 4!

T: Mommy and I skated together!

T: By the end I could skate without the walker!!

It was such a fun night!  I didn't fall a single time!  On the way home my knee felt awful, but I kept massaging it and forcing it to track properly and by the next day I was feeling fine!  I am very excited about our next trip there!  I am so thankful that I overcame this fear!

No comments: