Monday, September 3, 2018

Grandparents and Pirates

My parents came to town for T's graduation, but were able to stay for the weekend as well.  It was quite a chilly weekend as it often is in our community at the beginning of June. 

The kids had a half day on Friday.  Actually, T was free to go after her ceremony.  She and my dad stayed at home and played hide and seek while my mom and I went for a walk.  T is really good at hiding! 

We went to school to get M, had lunch and then the kids went downstairs to build things in the basement.  I am not sure who had the idea to make bike jumps in the backyard, but my dad was very involved in helping our kids construct them.  It was a good activity.  The kids were also making slo-mo and time lapse videos which they enjoyed. 

T: I like helping Grandpa Daryl. 

M: I prefer to watch Grandpa Daryl work! 
T: This ramp is great!
M: I can really get air on this one. 

M: I loved watching the videos Grandma took of me on the jump.


T was feeling very creative that afternoon. She found several rocks and leaves and created what looked like a little memorial on the patio.  Then she watered it for a long time.  We wouldn't let her turn the hose on, but she was able to shake the hose and get quite a bit of water out of it.


T: I was washing the rocks. 

T: I was making a circle. 

T: Do you like it? 

T: It was a lot of hard work. 

Later that afternoon my parents and T decided to head downtown to see if they could tour a Tall Ship.  Sadly, when they got to the harbor it wasn't there.  They did find some tasty popcorn to bring home and share. 
T: It was very cold and windy by the Lake! 

We took things slow on Saturday morning.  The kids just love being around their grandparents.

M: I am so glad Grandpa Daryl is here. 

M: It was fun to look at my memories with Grandma and Grandpa. 

T: I did a makeover for Grandpa Daryl. 

T: We love doing funny faces!

T: We just can't stop!

T: One more!

T really really wanted to take some of her own photos!  She got my parents to do some fun poses!

T: Do you like this picture I took? 

T: They were so silly!

Once everyone was up and going my parents took the kids to Home Depot so they could do the June building project. I am not sure if they had done one with the kids before.

M: Hammering is one of the best parts. 

T: I am very careful!

T: I love to paint. 

M: Grandpa and I like to people watch. 

Very focused!

Painting takes a while!

After lunch, we all headed down to Pirate Fest. 

T: It was a little bit warmer on Saturday. 

We watched some shows at the festival. I reminded the kids that if chosen to help you might be made fun of, and sure enough, the kids who were chosen were mocked about their names and their answers to questions.  I am glad my kids were fine staying at a distance.

M and T: We didn't want to be chosen so we stayed back and watched. 

Many people from the area come to the festival in full pirate gear.  Some of them live a pirate lifestyle and travel from festival to festival.  It is sort of a cultural experience.
The ship is coming closer to the harbor!

The Tall Ship going into the harbor.

The kids were very interested in the antique weapons and some people shooting blanks in the harbor.

M: Do I look fierce? 

Prepared for battle

T: I got to try things on too!

M: Can you see those guys shooting in the background? 

M: I didn't want to leave... they kept shooting!

Every year there is a woman who poses like a statue.  If you give her some money she will talk with you and you can take a picture with her.  T read the note about this and asked my dad for a penny.  He didn't know what the penny was for or her plans, but T tossed it into the basket and the statue moved, talked and T got a photo.  We didn't intend to give a one cent tip, but T had a plan.

T: She was a statue mermaid!!!
After our time at the festival it was time to say goodbye to my parents.  Their visit was brief, but we really enjoyed our time well. I am so thankful for such wonderful parents/grandparents!


M and T: We needed a silly pictures. 

One last pic before hitting the road.



No comments: