Monday, January 17, 2022

MN Bound!

On August 14th (yikes, that is over 5 months ago) all four of us headed to MN for time with my family.  We were all very excited to travel, but less excited about the pre travel covid tests which have become the norm, esp now as I write this.  When we traveled in August, Delta was just ramping up and we wanted to be safe.  T was not a fan of the home test.
I wouldn't really say they are THAT bad!
  
Ready to hit the road!
Summer is such an incredible season.  You can drive all day and it is still light when you arrive at your destination.  When we arrived M was very eager to open his 12th Birthday gifts.  T was given some gifts and I was too.  
 
Happy together!
M: I like my new shades!
T: I really hope M gets into these so we can start trading!
 

The kids really enjoyed playing baseball during our time in MN.  Yes, T is on roller blades while playing.  I think it helps with her focus.  After taking pictures I played in the outfield.  It is a great way to get steps and feel a part of the action without being too athletic!

The players!
The close up!
Bret, Shannon and Cousin A came over and brought some new scooters to try.  Everyone else managed them easily.  I think I was wiggling my bottom way more than needed and couldn't seem to go very far. 
It just wouldn't move!
M has all the skills.  T is making a path for them to follow.
Nothing like some late night four square to end the day.

8/15/21 Day 2

My mom and I started the day with a walk.  Their home looks so lovely with the whole facelift and added front porch and flowers all around. 


A happy home.
Brandon tried the scooter.  He was more successful than me.
My grandma came for the day which was a highlight for all of us.  Brandon hadn't seen her since November 2019.
I love how they love each other!
While we were sitting and chatting we spotted a tiny mouse run into the garage.  The next several pictures and M and my dad trying to catch or chase out the mouse.  It was quite hilarious to watch.
M: I don't see him under there, Grandpa!
M: Look, there he is!
M:  Are you really going to hit him with that board, Grandpa?
The girls were playing Barbies on the porch all through the mouse hunt.

Back in the garage the mouse found a safe spot in under the full freezer.
 
It was a lovely warm day so we decided to go to the pool.  The kids enjoyed the slide. T also enjoyed the not so lazy river.
 
M: Using a tube was pretty fun.

T: It is quite relaxing in here.
Two person tube!
Brandon, Grandma and my dad found a shady spot and watched from the van for a while.

We had a fun afternoon together!
Action shot!
High Dive!
While M was on the diving boards T was being T.  She went up to a group of people she didn't know and started tickling their toes under water.  This could have gone many ways, but luckily they were very good sports. Pretty soon she had the whole crew playing this sort of tag games she made up.  They went from just sitting on the edge to all playing together.  She is a pretty cool kid!
T: I made some new friends. 
T: I would sneak under water to get them.

Bret and I with Grandma! 


I love them!
Our family.  T looks taller than real life with her roller blades and helmet.

Aww, we needed a picture of them as well.
Showing Grandma all the new pics.

Another evening ball game!

Only T would start singing "This old man came rolling home" and literally roll home during the game. 
Rolling home (the shoe is home plate)!
Rolling home is just as filthy as it sounds.  T insisted that she take a sink bath and that I take before and after pics of the sink water.
Before...

and After!



8/16/21 Day 3
Brandon and I woke up feeling like my parents home was under attack.  I quickly looked out the window and saw a crop duster plane flying right over their house. It was still out when my mom and I went walking so I snapped a picture.  It was quite a wake up call! 

It was closer to the house while we were sleeping.

T: I love racing with these computers, just like my mom did when she was little.
T: You have to be really still when you are trying to catch a fly.

M: Sometimes I hit the ball into the gutter.  T: Safety first!  I will secure the ladder while on rollerblades.  (The ladder was secure without her, don't worry.)

In the middle of the morning we headed to a state park to see some cool foundations of an old Fort and learn about the battles fought there. I think the adults were much more invested in learning than the kids.  The kids seemed to struggle with the August heat and no shade much more than the adults!

The nature center (closed due to covid)
Dad was trying hard to bring the fun!

I LOVED doing this as a child!
 
When Bret and I were little we spent a long time playing in these old foundations and jumping over doorways.  The heat made the experience less fun for my kids, but I think they understood why I have such good memories from this time. 

T; This is pretty fun!
A cool place to visit!
M: It is a little scary, but I like it.
Can you tell how thrilled they are?

Brandon is trying to spark joy!
I see a smile!

Somewhat impressed with the story.
After all the learning I was hoping to go for a hike.  The kids saw a park and shady trees and had other plans. We did check out a cemetery before the park, but T decided to camp out in a tree.
T: This is much better!
The outdoor theater where I remember attending church as a child.  It looks so much smaller now.


The picnic crew.

Simple pleasures.
We decided to take the kids to an overlook area.  As a child I would go snow tubing down this hill.  Brandon even went one time when we were newlyweds. 
Beautiful views!


The whole crew!
Ready to head to another pool!

After our time at the park we headed to my hometown to spend time at the water park that my dad helped design and build.  The kids are quite proud of this.  We were also able to spend the afternoon with my childhood next door neighbor and her two sons.  We had such a wonderful afternoon catching up on all sorts of things.

Such a lovely day.


The moms and the kiddos!

8/17/21 Day 4
Our last full day in MN was such a unique day.  We tried to pack a lot in to the final day.
T: I got to build some creations in Grandpa's shop and then spray paint them.
T: This is great fun! 
We took a short trip to my grandma's farm to get some raspberry bushes.  She has so many that are huge producers and we were able to get four shoots from her plants.  One didn't survive, but the other three are doing well! They have been growing in this farm for over 100 years and I am hopeful to have some of these in or backyard!
Teamwork!


Such special times!
Letting M drive!

Such precious moments!

T: I caught a toad and really wanted to bring him home.
T: I also found a tree to hang out in.

Relaxing!
A bright day, but one more photo needed.

So much love!

On the way back to my parents the kids facetimed some good friends.  This screen shot was taken.

On the way home from the pool we made multiple attempts to get slushies for the kids.  Every one a bust.  After my grandmas we stopped at the right kind of gas station and found these huge slushies.  M was not a fan and it was way too big for T, but they were pretty excited when they saw the size!
Wow, mom!  Thanks!

Back at my parents house it was time for some shooting practice with BB guns.  The kids really enjoy this.
M taking a shot.
Checking out how close he came to the center.
Relaxing.
More shooting and...


and more relaxing.
The rest of the afternoon the kids were spoiled with screen time as Brandon and I talked in the gazebo with my parents and alone about school choices.  It was so hard to know if we should continue to homeschool or send them back to in person.  In the end we decided to do in person and overall I am very thankful for this decision.  

Bret and his family came back after dinner for some ball and a campfire.
More playing!
Enjoying a moment with Brandon.
Cousin A trying roller blades for the first time. She was a fast learner.


Oh T, playing with fire while on roller blades.  This ended after the picture.


8/18/21 Day 5 

Our time in MN went so quickly.  The kids had an adventure on their final day.  While Brandon and I packed, my parents took the kids fishing. 

Nice face, Grandpa Daryl.   I don't think he likes the hair style M gave him.
A beautiful morning on the lake.
Baiting her own hook.
M: Off exploring new spots.
A view from afar.

We had a pretty uneventful ride home.  The kids enjoyed their comic papers from my grandma.  It is a great way to pass the time on a long car ride!

M and T: It sure is nice of Great Grandma to save these for us.

Home safely and planting the bushes right away!



We had a wonderful time in MN.  I had a late night of work washing clothes and repacking bags as I took the kids to meet up with Tom and Judy the following day.  More on that in the next post!

No comments: