Friday, March 1, 2019

Walking at -21

I enjoy my daily walks through the neighborhoods and hills of our community.  Ever since the first snow on January 19th, the walking has gotten a lot more tricky.  After a couple of bursts of snow came extreme cold.  The photo below is me before heading out on the coldest walk of the season.  The actual temp was below zero and the windchill (how it feels on your body) was -21.  Yes, that is twenty-one degrees below zero!  I was fully covered except for one eye.  It was still a bit dark when I started.  I had to move the scarf to rotate which eye was covered as my exposed eye would feel that air burn and also want to stick shut.  It was quite an experience.  Still though, the walks lately have gotten much harder.  We had a spell of warmer weather when things melted a bit.  This has created a layer of ice on sidewalk that is very tricky to navigate. I am looking forward to walking in warmer temperatures in the months to come... which I know could still be MANY months away. 
I learned this technique in Fargo and am getting a lot of miles out of it this winter! 

No comments: