Thursday, July 23, 2020

T in the Tree, a new TV and other Thursday adventures (Summer Vacation Week 4 Part 2)

Thursday - 7/2
It was a beautiful day and the kids were eager to get outside.  I was still eating breakfast when T announced she was going to climb the tree in the front yard.  I decided to eat outside while I watched her climb.  She and M worked very hard to get her up into the tree. 

Her time in the tree started so sweetly.  She asked me to get her an American Girl Wellie Wishers book which I think might have someone who likes to climb trees or lives in the trees or something.  Anyway, she was happy and reading and even put some stickers on her tree fort.  

T: It was a great place to read a book.

I thought about taking a nap up in the tree. 

After a few minutes she wasn't having enough of an adventure and decided that she needed to climb higher.  I kept cautioning her and asked her to stop, but I was totally powerless from the bottom of the tree.

T: I wanted to climb higher. 

T: It was really cool to be up so high!

T: And then suddenly I was TOO HIGH!

She was up a lot higher than she expected and started to panic.  She decided to climb down, but couldn't figure out how to do it or how she got up there in the first place.  I finally called Brandon and asked him to come home.  T was asking if we would have to call a fire department, you know like every good storyline about the cat in the tree... but we told her we thought we could get her down.

T: First daddy tried to tell me how to get down from the bottom of the tree. 

Soon it became obvious that we were not exactly sure how she got up in the tree, and we didn't have a safe way to get her out of the tree.  We decided the best thing to do was to get out a ladder and have Brandon climb the tree and help her down.

T: Daddy came up to rescue me. 

T: As soon as I saw him in the tree I felt a bit safer. 

Smiles for Brandon because she was safely coming down. 
T: I was so happy to be out of the tree. 

She has not asked to climb the tree since that day.  I think T learns fear only through scary experiences! I am so thankful that Brandon was next door and available to help.  Whew, she keeps us on our toes.

The temps warmed up that afternoon so we set up our brand new slip and slide.  It was the only one available when I went to order them.  It is smaller than M would like, but T did have some smiles and fun.
T: I went pretty fast a few times. 

After the kids time sliding I stayed outside to enjoy the sun.  T decided to pamper me with a bit of a spa experience.  She gave me an umbrella for shade and water with a fancy straw and homemade umbrella, she sprayed me with sunscreen and fanned me.  Sometimes she surprises me with her incredible thoughtfulness and I just drank it in!

Such a thoughtful girl!

That evening we had a very eventful evening.  We cut the kids a deal and everyone wound up happy.  Brandon and I had been talking about getting Disney+ starting July 3rd so that Brandon could watch Hamilton on opening day.  He was thinking of bringing over a TV from church and we talked about it and decided to tell the kids if they were willing to surrender Park for the summer, we would get a new 55inch TV and Disney + for at least the summer.  It is important to note that our biggest TV was a 25inch box TV from the 1990's. They could not believe we were serious and took the deal with eagerness.  They have deeply enjoyed the rewards of their deal and M has only mentioned Park once.  This is a huge change from the first days of limbo when he complained every minute. I fight hard to limit screen time for my kids and I essentially bribed them to say no to hours and hours of play outdoors and choose a screen.  2020 is the year of doing everything differently than you ever would before.  It was a good thing we did back out when we did as the kids still have fevers and the daily sadness would have taken a huge toll as they would have missed the first four weeks (out of 7) so far. 

Since we didn't have a lot of time to spare, Brandon went to Walmart 10 minutes later and purchased a TV.  When our family does something we do it all the way!!!!  That night I stayed up way too late learning about Roku TV and all the different stations.  I didn't watch a single thing... just looked at all the things I could watch in amazement.  Interestingly, in the almost month we have had the TV and all the channels, I have not watched any shows on it apart from family watching in the evening. Apparently there are enough current events to read about that I am not too tempted by the TV. Of course there is the constant overtired bit too. 

No comments: