Monday, December 6, 2021

The 14.5 mile "practice" walk!

 On July 10th Charissa and I took the longest walk we have ever taken.  We walked 14.5 miles.  I had also walked my normal 4.4 morning miles, so I did a lot of walking that day.  We were in training for a walking marathon.  There is a lake near us that is 26 miles around and has walking paths for the whole distance. Because the path goes away from the lake at times, walkers walk over a marathon when they go all the way around.  It has been a goal of mine to do this before turning 40.  Time was running out and Charissa agreed to be my partner.  We decided that we should do a practice training route and I sure am glad we did!

The walk started great.  Charissa and I always have 456 things to talk about so it seemed like we blinked and we were already at the turn around point.

We made it to her community!
Yahoo!!!!
 
Things were quite a bit different on the way home.  Charissa started to have foot pain.  We stopped many times to stretch and take breaks, but it didn't seem to get better. Our last couple of miles took a LONG time.  I kept asking her if we should call someone to pick us up.  She wanted to continue.  She did mention crawling at one point and I really should have just called someone to rescue us. Since Brandon wasn't driving I didn't have a super convenient person to call.  Charissa knows how to finish well and we did!  It was dark when we got home, but we did it!!!!  
 
This is not accurate to the distance (we went farther) and probably not to the steps either, but it is impressive at any rate. 

 
Sadly, Charissa's foot continued to hurt and she ended up going to the Dr where she learned she actually had a stress fracture.  Interestingly, Charissa fell and broke her arm while walking with me several years ago.  I promise I am not trying to hurt my friend!  She likes to remind people that walking is actually a pretty dangerous sport!

No comments: