Friday, November 19, 2010

November 17th: Our Last Day in Ethiopia

We got up early and packed, got ready, ate, and checked out of the hotel. A taxi came and took us and our stuff to a guest house (so we could park our bags there for the day) and then to L. We tried to spend as much time with sweet M as we could. He was OK in the morning, but really wasn’t doing well in the afternoon. During our lunch break (napping time) we went to Kaldi’s and internet place and then Kaldi’s again for one last ice cream treat from Brandon. The afternoon was hard, good, but hard. Baby M was very sick. He had a horrible cough that just wouldn’t stop. It was agony to see him want to go to the caregivers as we were un-able to soothe him. Sadly, his special caregiver, “Orange” (that is the English translation of her name, and if you know us, it is pretty special) could not bring him comfort. I was holding him in the hall. I started walking and humming hymns to him, and the coughing stopped. Brandon and I then took turns for several hours walking the halls and humming hymns to our son. Oh how I pray when we hum those songs to him again his little heart will remember us. I tried to sing one special hymn (I am not saying as I don’t want any other traveling parents to accidently sing it to him) several times each day we were there in hopes that he will remember it when we return. It was one of the songs I sang to “two sweet boy” each day at nap time. As the time grew closer to leaving, I got more and more choked up at I hummed. Little M’s hair was getting quite wet at times as the tears fell. Amazingly, he DID NOT COUGH while we were doing it. Speaking of his hair, it is hilarious! He has a natural mohawk, I am serious!

The time for leaving was drawing near and my heart was breaking. We went into a back hallway and prayed over him and then I walked with him more. Almost like magic (yeah right, thanks for being awesome God!!!) right as it was time to leave our beautiful son fell asleep in momma’s arms. I then passed him off to daddy who laid him in his crib. We then said good-bye to the other children, gave him a last kiss and left. We hugged the nannies as we left. The tears were flowing freely and even Brandon who is the thinker in this marriage got a little misty eyed.

As we waited outside the blue doors Brandon reminded me that next time we go in them it will be to bring our son home. Trite as that thought was at the moment, it was true and hopeful.

I then went into “get to the airport on time” mode and turned off the tears. We went to the guest house and changed clothes and then took a taxi to the airport. It was AGONY seeing the happy families in line with babies going through security. I could not believe how icky my thoughts were towards them, talk about the jealous momma bear. Luckily God is gracious and they didn’t know. Their children were beautiful and it was helpful to observe what works well and what doesn’t in traveling home with babies.

Once through security I had many “TIA” moments. TIA stands for (This Is Africa). First of all, there are no clocks around the airport... seriously, no clocks in the restaurants, no clocks on the walls... TIA. Then the restaurant was confusing, ordering etc and we were right next to a coffee ceremony place with incense going. My head was aching... TIA. Then we realized that there are like 40 chairs outside of security, but that once you go through security you can’t go to the bathroom... TIA. While finding a place on the floor waiting I was overwhelmed with the smokers surrounding me. SO MANY SMOKERS... TIA. Actually, this is Ethiopia being nice to other countries, because our whole time in ET I think I only saw 2 smokers max. I was in such a bad mood and went for a walk. I went into the bathroom by the prayer rooms and it was squatty potties (really stinky ones). I was heading back to tell Brandon that I was going through security and “holding it” until I got on the plane when I stopped at another bathroom that had normal toilets. Nothing like a normal toilet to change my perspective and convict my heart. The only time I was agitated in ET was in the airport. Soon we were through security and on the airplane. It was on the airplane that I really lost it. I was leaving my sick baby in Ethiopia and flying 10,000 miles away from him. I felt like the worst mother in the world! Sure, this “two trip rule” did allow us to meet M earlier, see his routine, see beautiful Ethiopia, do more shopping etc, but seriously, leaving my baby was killing me. I truly and honestly thought about running out of the plane, then I thought about jumping out the door. Then as we were off the ground I just cried and cried and cried. Brandon held me and I fell asleep. It turns out I am a great plane sleeper... who knew?

No comments: