Friday, November 19, 2010

November 18th: Getting home

Technically, November 18th started for us 30 minutes after our first plane left the ground. It was a long day. As I said, thankfully the first 7 or 8 hour flight felt like 15 minutes as I slept so much. Landing in Frankfurt was hard because I slept literally until we had to get off the plane. Have you ever had to wake up from a deep sleep and walk a long ways carrying luggage? I could not make my body work. We had so much time between flights. Every time we passed a set of chairs I begged Brandon to sit in them. Finally, after passing all the “great chairs” we rested a little while. The whole security check time is a blur as I was so tired. The liquid rules are such a pain, esp in countries where you can’t drink the water, so much water is wasted... also the little ziplock bags that you have have to return the hand sanitizer to over and over again. Normally this wouldn’t bother me, but in my sleepy state it seemed so hard. They also thought something was suspicious in my bag, turns out it was salt and pepper. The guards got a kick out of it! My heart was so sad as I began to wake up and hear the shallow conversations around me. I was now around English speakers who made me sad. It was nicer when I didn’t know what others were saying.
The flight from Frankfurt to Chicago seemed long, well, it was. I did sleep some. The last flight was quick and painless and we got home to our house shortly after 5:00pm. The shower felt great and I was falling asleep before 7:00. I went to bed before 8:00, which is part of the reason I have been up since 1:30 this morning. Hopefully I will be able to stay up tonight and then take something to help me sleep through the night tonight.

No comments: