Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Summer Vacation Week 11 - Beaches, Fishing, Creek hike, Lighthouse trip, Bookcase building!

I an effort to catch up from my very behind blogging I decided to lump week 11 into one blog post. Each summer I feel like we really start hitting our stride in mid August.  Usually I feel this way because the kids have so many activities in the earlier part of the summer that we don't get much family time until August.  This year everything has been so strange and yet once again it feels like we really started to explore and enjoy once we felt like fall was upon us!

On  Monday (8/17)  we met up with Charissa and her kids and did another state park hiking adventure.  There was plenty of drama, but lots of fun too.  It is always good for my soul to spend time with Charissa. 


T: I look like Ruth Rose from A to Z mysteries!

Even when I get grumpy (from uncomfortable shoes) I love to climb. 

Socially distanced group photo without T who was not into it at the moment. 

M had a great time at the park.  He was doing well when we arrived home.  T had a very rough time at the park.  She was tired and frustrated when we got home.  The kids quite a flip flop when M discovered that his sensory relaxation water wheel toy had a leak and we said it had to be tossed.  He was crying in an inconsolable way, the way I would imagine him acting when a loved one dies.  Oddly enough, this is a toy that hadn't been played with in years and was discovered a couple months ago and was used a couple of times during that month.  He wanted to have a funeral for it.  Brandon and T handled everything well.  I couldn't hold back some chuckles and Brandon sent me to a different room during the rest of the funeral.  After the funeral, M drew a picture to help with his grief. August is always a tricky time for him and we think his meds were a little mixed up.  We have now altered his dose and things are much improved.  They are not always super happy, but they are more stable than August. 


M:Freddy (he named it postmortem) was very special to me. 

On Wednesday (8/19) we received a huge zucchini.  I made three zucchini breads and prepped a casserole and still had 1/2 a zucchini left! 

Against All Grain zucchini bread is always a win!

Sometimes you decide to throw your dog up to the basketball hoop and it gets stuck.  Then you recruit your brother to let you STAND on his shoulders so you can reach up and get it.  Then your mom looks out the window and pretends not to freak out so she can take a picture.  

At least they are both holding on to the hoop.

That evening Brandon took them fishing once again.  It looks like a lovely evening on the Lake!

When your daughter mixes up the catwalk with the break wall! 

Not your average fisher girl

Nice job holding the fish, M!

Brandon took many photos of T.  There were so many special shots.  I really did narrow them down to my favorites. 

T: I love getting my feet wet. 

What a beauty!

I wonder what she is thinking about. 

Hmm... maybe she was planning how she could actually get into the water... oh dear. 

T: I was safe and balanced the whole time!

T: See, a long evening of fishing and I look dry and refreshed. 

On Thursday (8/20) the kids finished up their thank you notes.  This is always a big undertaking as a parent. T loves to add embellishments to the envelopes.  You know you are getting good mail when you get a card like the one below in your mailbox!  

T has been here!

On Thursday afternoon I convinced the kids to go down to the creek.  M did not want to go and reminded me of this the whole time.  T tried to have fun despite M's feelings.  We ended up leaving pretty quickly, but I did snap a picture of our lovely spot on a lovely day.  

M:  There was just a lot of dirt and a lot of bugs.  

On Friday (8/21) I gave the kids a long pep talk before we headed out to the lighthouse.  The talk was successful and we had a very nice adventure. 

My first time walking out without another adult!

The compromise!  She can dangle in her feet as long as she doesn't let go of the hook.  She didn't fall in, so it must have been a good idea. 

In the afternoon we went to check out the beach at a local lake.  This is the same lake that the kids often fish at.  It is a little ways from our home, but worth it for a huge sandy beach and warmer water etc. 

A picture says a 1000 words!

T successful poured enough water to get her river to flow!

Lakeside entertainment was impressive!

We had a big surprise when S and her brother arrived!  The kids build sand castles and then created a water slide using buckets of water.  They truly flew down the slide.  I am so thankful that they had a blast and that no one broke a bone!

Better Together!

On Saturday (8/22) the kids and Brandon tackled a family project while I worked on church stuff.  We ordered a bookcase for M's room.  He had SO MANY books on his desk there was no way he would be able to do virtual school in his room. T and I had quite a time getting the bookcase into our van in the Target parking lot.  Fake wood isn't light!  

The project had shining moments and frustrating ones, but the end result was great and we are all thankful that the bookcase is in his room.  M feels much more organized, and he has so much work space now. 

Ready to work!

Getting along well! 

All those Home Depot projects are paying off. 

T: I love to hammer things!

Communication was breaking down...

M took a little break and T kept working. 

Then T took a break and M worked. 

M didn't want to take a pic, but he was happy!  Every book on the case was on his desk.  I am not joking! 

On Sunday (8/23) we had a pretty uneventful end to our weekend.  Actually, we could have had a hugely eventful end to the weekend, but we don't have pictures to prove it.  We had parking lot church for the very last time.  We held it all summer and never had to cancel a single week.  That is pretty impressive. 

M: My sunglasses feel strange. 

Buttercup loves to sit in the chair in a very rolled up position.  It doesn't seem comfortable at all, but he sleeps there often.  


He is large and lovable. 

No comments: