Saturday, July 12, 2014

Huge Photo Post! Spring turing into Summer... maybe?


As I type this in July our long range forecast is still for highs in the upper 60's to low 70's.  This is a cold summer on the Lake. The blessing of the chilly days is that we truly embrace the warm days.  I have not heard anyone complain about being hot and when outside we see families playing, grilling, and grinning from ear to ear.  We are learning to treasure summer more than ever!



In May(ish) we had a sad day and a happy day.  The day started sad when M hit a bump with his bike and the tire popped.  Oh the tears.  So hard to see him sad.  The good news is we were planning to get him a bigger bike that he could pick out soon anyway so it all worked out.  M was totally cool with his princess bike last summer, but this year he was ready to ditch the pink.  He got to pick out a new bike later that day.  He chose a bike that says "Blazing Speed" and that is true.  M LOVES speed.  He loves the free out of control feeling he gets gliding down a hill.  I love that he can let go and do this.  So special.  He has been biking as I push T in the stroller.  I LOVE not having to use a double stroller, although at times I am trying to carry him and the bike and push the stroller so that is a bit of a circus.


One very bald popped tire.


M: I love my new bike!

M: I am so ready to try this thing out!

M: Look at me fly!!!

In May the local CC group had their end of the year wrap up night.  We only went to a small part of it, and M and his class did a little presentation.  He wasn't super interested in being a part of it, but he sure loved his class.

M's class as he tries to escape... just like he did on Tuesdays :)

M: I liked it a lot more with Mrs. S held me. 
M found some "fancy clothes" and decided to play dress up with T.  They pretended to get married over and over again.  They would hug, kiss and then dance.  It was super sweet and they both had fun.


M: Me and T are married.  T: married.
Some of M's favorite friends invited us to their Spring Concert.  M decided to wear the 3 piece suit to the occasion.  He LOVED the music (singing and band).  I was super impressed with the quality and have already inquired about him attending music class there eventually.  He entertained everyone around us as he bounced to the beat!


M: I took Mommy on a date to a concert, but I let her drive. 

M: I am so excited to show you how high I can jump.  Ready... here I go!

M: Wow, I look like a bird!

One morning Brandon went to get T from her bed and she was so proud that she had put all of her dolls and animals to sleep.  How sweet!  She loves being a little mama to them.  Teddy, Baby, and "tired" (her tag blanket) come with us everywhere.  We have been doing a "light technique" with T for several months now.  We got her a new nightlight with a girl on it.  She loved it.  We hooked it up to a timer (like the Christmas light kind) and she knows that when the light is on it is time to sleep.  Each day we hear her say "light off" and we go get her.  This technique isn't right for everyone including our M, but it is incredible for some kids like T.  It is cheap and simple too.

Sleeping babies

My Sleeping Beauty with her sleeping babies.

M: This is like driving a real 4-wheeler (neighbor's ride on with motor.)
Our sand box really needed some help.  It only had a few inches of sand in it.  Brandon and M added boards to it, stained them, and added 600lbs of sand.  The kids love playing in it.  T really loves to lay in it and even pretends it is a swimming pool.  She gets filthy but filled with joy!

M: Daddy sure was happy to have my help.

In mid-May our dear Jamie graduated from Marine boot camp.  We were so very very proud of her.  She shared at church before she left for her next commitment.  We are so in awe of God's work in her life and are excited to see how He will be glorified through her time as a Marine! 

Our favorite Marine.
I love baby wearing... but I don't have a baby anymore and I am still baby wearing.  I love toddler and preschool wearing too.  I discovered a couple of months ago that I can very easily wear both kids.  The Ergo and the Beco are awesome and I can barely feel them and they feel great in them. 


M and T:  Our mom is a super hero!
With our walnut tree gone we were finally able to get a new patio table and chairs.  We love eating snacks outside.  We have tried meals, but snacks are just as fun and much less stressful. 


Summer!

Yay for warm weather!

M: I took this one all by myself!

T: "Nice Day" 

M: Don't mess with me!

It was mid-June when we finally got the garden planted.  We actually opted to just skip flowers in our planters this summer.  We have traveled so much and we sort of ran out of time and now we are just going to wait for next year.  Brandon got tomato plants at a local hardware store and M went with.  He found some gardening gloves that fit him and asked daddy if he could have them.  To his surprise daddy said yes and I guess M was so excited he was throwing them in the air and dancing and celebrating.  I am pretty sure he made everyone at the store's day.  He also wore them and worked hard in the garden all day planting.  Since then he has gotten into weeding too as long as he wears his gloves.  Awesome $3. investment!

M: Is it fine if I dig right here Daddy?

M: I can plant those seeds Dad.
The first time the weather got warmish the kids wanted to get out their sprinkler.  They really enjoyed running through it, though T's favorite thing to do was collect the water dripping from the hose connection in a little cup and drink it.


M: Hey Mom, come over here.  Me: No thanks.

M: I am getting so wet!


This next photo could be its own blog post.  We learned in our Heather Forbes training that sometimes you just have to let kids "Be the Polar Bear"  (it makes more sense if you do the training) and get all their anger out because after it they will melt into a calm and forcing them to be held before they are done can cause more danger.  This is a photo of the after.  The room was perfectly clean before the rage so every single item on the floor was thrown there.  The over turned boxed were done after each toy around them was thrown on the ground first.  This was the night before we left for CO so little man had a lot of stress and overwhelm and fear going on.  We stayed close and let him get it out and then just like the book says (for seemingly the first time ever) he totally melted on me in the middle of the chaos.  He was done.  It was all over.  I can't tell you the joy I was feeling as I held my now calm son.  Oh how I wish I could get rid of the fear, stress, and overwhelm all the time, but it is amazing to see what happens when Brandon and I stay calm.  We are learning so much. 


Cuddling with my polar bear.
We love sensory bins/boxes.  We have many of them.  The kids make a huge mess but enjoy the play.  I personally would not recommend grits as it is SUPER messy.  Popcorn, pinto/black beans, and dried lentils work great.  T also has a lid bin that she loves to empty.

M: Mom, we are making a mess.  T: Mess!
M knows how to take selfies and he loves to take them.  We love to discover them on our camera.


M: Hey, that's me.

M: Intense is how I roll!

No comments: