Friday, February 3, 2017

Melkam Gena!

We were not able to spend time with my parents over the official Christmas season, but we were able to host them here on January 6-8th.  However, we were able to celebrate Gena (Ethiopian Christmas) with then. Because Ethiopians follow the Julian Calendar, they celebrate Christmas on January 7th. 

Friday, January 6th:

My parents arrived after M got home from school.  T was still sleeping.  I had cookies in the oven so I would get up to check on them and then also glance out the window.  M was so excited when he heard a knock on the door.  He got to spend a bit of time with them before T woke up.  Once she woke up there was a little bit of playing and then it was time for dinner.  We ate quickly because the kids were very eager to open presents.  

Every year my parents get my kids an ornament that represents something  they really enjoyed or learned or were excited about in the previous year.  This year T got a mermaid and M got a swimmer. They were both very excited about their ornaments! 

T: I love my mermaid ornament.  Mermaids are my favorite!
T would fly to the couch to hug my parents after every gift she opened.  It was super sweet.
T: Thank you Grandma and Grandpa! 
M doesn't have quite the natural excitement levels that T has, but he was very thankful for his ornament as well.
M: This swimmer looks just like me!

Cousin A (and family) gave T quite a thrilling gift, her own mermaid tale!  She was so excited.  She and M both tried it out.

T: Do I look like a real mermaid now? 

M: This is pretty cozy!

T: Mommy, look at all this amazing make-up!!

T: I love it!!!  Who wants a makeover? 

M really enjoyed playing the classic "jump" game at my parents over Thanksgiving.  They don't make the jump game anymore, but my parents got him a version of it and he was grateful.

M: No way!  I can't wait to try this out. 
M: It is pretty tricky!  (I love watching my parents watch him) 

It was getting pretty late when all the kid presents were open.  We decided to hold off of the adult presents until the kids were sleeping.  It was a great decision.  We could open slowly and talk and enjoy each other's company.  It was a nice evening. 

Saturday, January 7th Melkam Gena!  Merry Christmas! 

I got up early to begin prepping some of the food for our Ethiopian dinner.  I feel like all I did most of the day was chop and stir!  

The kids both had swimming lessons in the morning.  It was T's first class ever and M's first class at a new level.  He passed level two in the fall and was anxious about level three.  My parents and Brandon went with M to his class.  He did OK until it came to the part in the deep end and he decided he was done for the day.  

T's class came next.  I brought her.  She did OK, but was so very very cold.  She just couldn't get into it because she was shaking so much.  

Sidetone swimming update:  Week two M only went in the water the last three minutes. T went in the first 5 and was too cold to continue.  I called and was able to cancel T's lessons and get our money credited to our account for future lessons.  M continued to struggle in week three and last week they moved him down to level two again.  There was only one child in level two (with two teachers).  M now has one on one support with his favorite teacher.  Because he is in a one on one setting the teacher is pushing him and helping him do some things which are beyond level two, but don't tell M.  We are so thankful for a wonderful aquatic program.  The staff love our M and have been so friendly and helpful.  

Back to the weekend with my parents...

M: I always have to adjust my goggles before jumping in. 

T: I sure am glad that Daddy was here with me. 
After swimming we played a bit and had an early lunch.  T took a nap and M played with my parents.  I cooked and cooked and made lots and lots of dirty dishes.  

After T woke up my parents took the kids and I bowling.  It was T's first time ever and M's first time with our family.  We all had a great time.  The kids brought some money so the lure of the arcade games was strong, but once they ran out of coins we all enjoyed the bowling.  Bumper bowling is fun for kids and adults!  

M: Looking good!
T's ball moved so sloooooowly down the lane.  It always made it to the end.  If she got any pins down at all she would squeal and squeal!

T: There is goes!

T: Come on M, you can do this!

T: Mommy, help me give it a push. 

A quick selfie before the battery died. M didn't quite get in the shot. 

The house smelled so good when we got home.  Everything was cooking while we were bowling and it was soon time to eat.  An amazing local friend offered to pick up some gluten free injera for us.  It was a special treat to have it.  I made 4 Ethiopian dishes, but the crock pot doro wat was so very different than the actual wat.  Oh well.  The kids were very excited about the meal.  The liked the idea of the food more than the actual food.  I think I am the only injera fan in the house.  Let's just say I was eating injera for many days after our feast meal!  While not everything turned out perfectly, the Shiro Wat tasted very good.

T: I was very curious about this food. 
Anticipating the tasty food. 
The whole family. 
T: It was fun to figure out the injera. 
T: I tried to get a little bit of everything. 
T: You don't use a fork, you just scoop it up with your hands

Recreating the photo of my first anticipated bite of Ethiopian food six years later!

I love it!!!
Once it came time to taste it there was some spitting out of food.  There might have been a declaration about Chinese food being better.  Oh well, I am so glad they tried some new foods and I am so thankful that my parents got to be here for the food as well. The kids ate hard boiled eggs and apple crisp. 

By the time we were finished eating it was almost time for bed.  There was time for a few extra kicks and a little makeup.

M: Watch out Grandpa Daryl. 

T: This is a great color for you Grandma Kathy. 

I was so tired after dinner.  Brandon and I got the kids to bed and my parents washed the dishes.  There were SO MANY dishes.  They were troopers.  What a gift to have clean dishes. 

Sunday, January 8th:
The kids enjoyed getting in some last minute playtime with the grands before they headed back to MN. T LOVES to play in her room these days.  It is so special for her to have others up in her room with her.



T: Buy something at my store Grandma Kathy!

M: Grandpa Daryl and I matched! 

T: This picture was just the girls. 
My parents left after we headed to church.  It made for a good transition.  The kids were really missing Grandma and Grandpa when we got home.  Their visit was short, but we really packed in the fun.  I am so thankful for our time together!  

No comments: