Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Happy COVID Halloween

I finally made it to Halloween.  Our dear neighbor friends and I planned our special day weeks in advance.  Typically the kids trick or treat downtown in the morning and then around our neighborhood in the evening.  It is lots of candy, neighbors, friends, and fun.  We knew this year was going to be different. We knew we had to create some type of experience that would be fun and worthwhile for the kids.  We decided to buy lots of candy and then have two events.  We had a morning event at their house and an afternoon event at our house. 

T: I was a COVID Princess!

T: I decided to do a little sliding before the searching.

Ready for the hunt! Hunter, Princess, Detective, and Superman.
Our neighbor created more than a dozen riddles and each place had bag of candy with a child's name on it.  In the end they all had the same amount.
M: Some of the riddles were pretty challenging.

T: I didn't mind crawling under the truck!
After the hunt the kids had a candy trading meeting. Our kids can't have dairy and S and T like it so they were able to score more things they could have.
T: I traded some and gave some to Dad.

  
The trading crew.
I was so cold after the time outside that this pan from the oven felt so nice and warm on my face.
Thank you for capturing this moment Brandon.
After lunch it was time for round two.  I created a series of clues that had the kids hunting all over our property and the church and parking lots.
T: I couldn't figure out where to go next.

  
Another candy trading session.

Winding down inside after lots of candy! 
We wanted to have a fun activity to do while the masses were out trick or treating.  We decided to carve pumpkins in the afternoon.  The kids both got really into it this year and had quite original designs. I plucked seeds out of the pulp the entire time. 



T: I was sketching some plans while daddy carved.
  
M: First I had to draw a design on my pumpkin. 
T:I tried to carve a little, but Daddy did most of it.

















                                                            

M: This is not as easy as I thought it would be.

T: This is so gooey.  (And there I am plucking seeds from pulp)

Great job M and T!!

I am so proud of their designs and hard work!


After pumpkins we had homemade pizzas and then a movie night.  It ended up being a very good day.  The kids were sad to not trick or treat, but in the end I sure was thankful to have less candy around our house.

No comments: