Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Green Eating!!!


Every once in a while you have to have a little fun with dinner, right?  One night I discovered that a couple of items on the menu were green and decided to have a fully green meal.  The entree was Split Pea Soup.  We also had edamame, kiwi, and avocado.  This was one of the best meals we have ever had.  Both kids cleaned their plates and bowls!

Brandon didn't used to think he liked Split Pea Soup, but once I found this awesome and simple crock pot recipe he (and our whole family) think it is super tasty.

HERE is a link to the recipe I use.  I realize that some of you won't click on the link so I will paste the simple instructions below with credit going to the link above of course.

16 ounces split peas
4 medium carrots, peeled and diced (I might have done a couple of extra)
1 -1 1/2 cup white onion, chopped (I used a yellow onion because that is what I buy)
2 garlic cloves, smashed (I used garlic powder and worked great)
1 bay leaf (I think I used 2)
1 tablespoon salt (yep that is a lot of salt.  BUT there is no canned stuff in here so just trust me on this and put it in)
1/2 teaspoon pepper
6 cups hot water

1 Layer ingredients in order listed above. Do not stir
2 Cover and cook until peas are soft High: 4-5 hours or Low: 8-10 hours
3 Remove bay leaf and garlic (if it has held together) before serving.


I have made the above recipe now three times and each time it has been incredible! 

M: I am going to turn green after this meal!
T: Moe Cada (More Avocado)!

No comments: