Saturday, December 19, 2015

Decorating Our Tree!


We arrived home from Thanksgiving travels the Sunday night following Thanksgiving.  The kids were back at school the following morning.  It was so lovely to get right back into the routine.  They had zero vacation detox symptoms.  

Once the kids were at school, Brandon and I got to work.  I began dusting and Brandon began hauling.  By the time M was home from school in the afternoon, all the decorations (minus ornaments) were up, the laundry was done, and the house was totally back in order.  

T had dance class so we had to wait until after dinner to decorate the tree.  Some might think that decorating everything with the kids would be fun.  I do not.  The kids lose interest quickly and putting their ornaments on the tree is the perfect amount of decorating for them.  

Our new tree looked so lovely and festive.  We had a great time with the kids as we put on ornaments.  We told the kids who got them each ornament and why they got it.  It helps that I write the dates and who they are from on the back.  M was focused on getting up as many ornaments on as he could.  T was focused on getting all of her ornaments on one branch.  Even with the ornament clusters and a new tree, we still managed to pack it pretty full of ornaments.  Brandon and I have our childhood ornaments as well.  I am so thankful for these treasured items. 

One of my other favorite traditions is the small, all in one nativity under the tree.  We don't put gifts under the tree until Christmas morning.  Yes, this means our closets are overflowing with treasures.  Instead of gifts, we put the small nativity to remind us that Jesus is THE gift of Christmas!  We started this tradition when we were newlyweds, and I see it continuing for a long time. 


T: This is so fun! 
T: Don't all my ornaments look pretty together? 
M: I think this one would look great right here!
M: Dad, can you lift me up for this one? 
M: It is pretty cozy under the tree!
T: Cat and I like it under the tree too!

No comments: