Saturday, March 5, 2022

Christmas Road Trip 2021

This year we attempted our first "both sides of the family Christmas road trip" since T was one year old!  I am happy to report that this time went much much better than the last time we tried it!  We were so thankful to see so much family in one big trip.  With testing before family events we were able to safely meet, even as Omicron was spreading like crazy.  We were blessed to see so much of our family and extended family. Yahoo for a vaccine and a booster and testing!  Mitigation is very worth it when it means getting to spend Christmas with our families!

December 26th:

We got up at our usual 5:30 Sunday morning wake up time.  I did a short walk and Brandon prepped for church.  When I got home I got ready for the day and packed until it was time for 9:00 church.  We did quite a bit of prep on Christmas night so there was not a ton of work to do the morning of.  

After church we loaded the van, warmed up the food, and took covid tests.  We were on the road well before 11:00 if I remember correctly. 

Four negative tests!  Yahoo!
The second half of the drive overlapped with the Chiefs game.  It wasn't on any local radio station.  You can listen online, but not from a phone.  This meant Brandon had to make his phone into a hotspot so he could listen to the game on the computer.  The computer had to be plugged in.  It was quite an ordeal.  Thankfully Brandon figured it out and enjoyed an action packed first half of the game.
The set up (sideways)
Once we arrived in MO we dropped the kids off at the cousin's house and we went to Tom and Judy's to unload the van.  Once we were unloaded we headed back to A's house for the big family breakfast for dinner.  This is Brandon's favorite meal of the year.  It is great food and great family time too. Many pictures are taken during times like these!

M: I loved seeing T2.  First time in two years!!!
So wonderful to be with Judy.
These guys are all pretty tall!! 
Jeanette is not quite as tall as them!

Brandon and Melody

M: I loved seeing T1 too!
M: BJ gave us these really hard to open boxes

M: It took a lot of force, but there were some coins inside so it was worth it.

M: I love these days, so many laps to sit on!
This is me pretending that I like dogs. Of course she came and sat on me.

 

The family recorded the Chiefs game and stayed up late watching the whole thing.  I decided to go to bed since I knew the outcome.  I think it was fun for Brandon to watch it with family.  Most of them had not heard the result so that made it more exciting.

Looks like a relaxing game!
December 27-30th  All of the days in MO run together because we had a lot of family time and a lot of relaxation time.  We ate a lot and played a lot.  It was so relaxing for all of us.  The kids were with the cousins a lot.  There was one day I didn't even see them until evening. Here are all the highlights from our days in MO!
 
Brandon caught her getting down from upstairs this unique way.

In case you couldn't tell in the first pic.  She is up quite high!

T: I am so glad that T2 and family stayed an extra day!

M: I like Daisy's kisses!
T: Who knew that Dad would trying rowing and fall in love.

T: My technique could use some work.

M: Heidi is a pretty cool dog, too!
T: I wanted to be with Daisy and her nest looked cozy.
T: I was happy to be in the cage, I promise!
M: I like her!
Brandon caught me living the dream, watching a Hallmark Christmas movie in the middle of the day!
While I was watching a movie, Brandon's brave aunt Jeanette took the kids shopping for their Christmas gifts.  Apparently T had a large stuffed animal in her hands and was almost to the check out when she bailed and decided to get all of these random candies and a whoopee cushion instead.  This is T!  She just can't pass up candy and random trinkets! 
Her treasures!  M got a new soccer ball and something else with the same amount of money.
After the shopping the cousins had fun with some silly make up time.
Big A made up little A!

Wow!

Some happy elves filling stockings with oranges
We celebrated Christmas with Brandon's immediate family that night.
All the cozy feelings of fun traditions.

Everyone has their accidentally assigned spots.

This is ours!

M: I wanted to be near the action because I knew what was inside.

M: They have to give Grandpa Tom extra popcorn for the kids.

T: I wonder what could be in here!

T: I wrote a Christmas poem for the family.  They all really liked it!

M: I got to play Heart and Soul with Grandpa Tom.

A has classic teen smile abilities.

A new day and some Yahtzee!

Choosing what to buy with their World Vision money

 

This next picture needs some major explaining.  Before Christmas we were at home watching football and I asked which team had a Rabbit for their mascot.  I eventually figured out that what I thought was a rabbit was actually a helmet.  Brandon recorded me as I was trying to get all of this out and I am laughing and crying so hard that I appear to be severely under the influence.  Once I realized what it was I was so embarrassed, but it was still funny.  Fast forward to Christmas.  We are in MO and Brandon is telling family about this and we are all laughing.  The next day Chris, our brother in law, lets us know that I wasn't the only one who thought that.  Apparently he had seen the picture below online.  I think somewhere I have a kindred spirit!!!

Admit it, you can see the rabbit too, right?

 

Each morning I would go into town and walk about 4 miles.  I would usually get about 8000 steps.  Then I would get the rest of my steps in the afternoon while watching a Hallmark movie.  Judy is the stepping queen so she always joined me in the action.

Good movie and good company!

Buddies

T was so excited to use all the fancy cake decorating tools.
A got a new game from us called "Beat That."  M also got the game later in the season.  We tried it out for the first time and we all enjoyed it.  Lots of laughs.  I highly recommend it for all families.
Lots of good effort!


A great group game!

Action shot!


Pretty sure this was a failed attempt.

Great teamwork!


The game was followed by wrestling.

Look at that fancy dessert!

They look relaxed.

Team Pancakes!

Two kids at the dentist at once.

My silly finger party trick that is actually some unique condition.  It only happens to one finger!

Some ping pong action!

Brandon caught me trying so hard to get warm next to the fireplace.


Aunt A giving a custom bedtime brush!

 

December 30th!  Time for another round of covid tests so we can head to MN!

Four negative tests, that is what we like to see!

We drove pretty much all of the daylight hours.  The kids were so tired when we got to MN that they barely finished dinner before going to bed.  I think they were both sleeping before 8:00!  It was nice for the adults to have a quiet evening. Brandon and I ended up going to bed pretty early too.

December 31st- January 2nd

We had two full days at my parents and then headed home on Sunday.  It was a short trip, but it was a good amount of time to be together with family for Christmas.  My brother and Shannon were on vacation so we didn't get to see them or cousin A, but we got some good time with my parents and we were able to see my grandma too!

A morning walk with temps way below zero!

Getting ready to count coins.

We were all super excited to go sledding on Rocket Hill!  Thankfully they had enough snow and we could go.  This is the only time we sledded this winter!

There she goes!


Walking back up hill is a work out!

A flying, T!

I always seemed to spin around and sled backwards!


M doesn't like to take as many risks.

Grandpa gave us some good push offs.

Yay!  A fun family shot on a fun family day!!!

T: I was trying to go over the jump!

T: I was just counting down the hours until I could open the presents.

Aww!  These two are so cute!

Looking cozy for gift opening.

Selfie before presents!

A warmer family picture.

So glad we were able to be together!

Can you tell that she LOVES her butterfly chair?

Can you tell now? 

M: What is it?

M:  I can't believe I have a brand new sleeping bag!

M: Thanks for making this for me, Grandma Kathy!

T: Look at all these markers!  Wow!

So much fun!

T: I taught Great Grandma about adult coloring books.

Great Grandma gave us a run for our money in the marble game!

M: I can actually stretch out in this thing!

T: I always do puzzle books at their house.

M: It is fun to play basketball in Grandpa's shed.

T: I like to walk and get steps.

They are very excited about  the fire starting process!


M: I need a turn too!

Here it goes!

M and T: Look what we created!

-30 wind chills are nothing for us. We just bundle up more!

Introducing the kids to "The Great Outdoors!"

T couldn't stop laughing!
The final morning we were able to get this picture before saying good bye.  I think it is a keeper.  Look at those lovely smiles.
Four very special people.

 

The time went so quickly. We had a great time in MN and MO.  We had an OK journey home.  We ended up making a little detour to get a new car DVD set as ours broke midtrip.  Nothing like a little drama, but by the end of the day we were home.  We were so thankful for time with both sides of the family.  The cats were VERY VERY glad that we were back.  We held them almost constantly the first 24 hours.  They missed us a lot!  They are such people cats.

T: I love seeing family, but it feels good to be home with Buttercup!

T: I was so excited that my neck chokers came in the mail!

Sunshine sat just like this for an hour and we were both very happy about it!

M: There is no place like home!  Buttercup is adjusting to the new sleeping bag perfectly.

No comments: