Friday, August 30, 2019

BAHA Surgery Part 5 (Going home/first night home)

We are now about 24 hours post surgery!  We have survived!  T is actually doing so very well!  She has not complained of any pain.  Our biggest hurdle is to keep our busy girl from jumping off counters, running, and her usual intense activities.

We were released from the hospital early yesterday afternoon.  T got to ride in an awesome wheel chair.
T: It was a really big wheel chair.

T: Check out the cool handles!

It took a long time to get the meds so I took a nap.
We ended up having to wait a long time at the pharmacy before we were finally on our way home.  Thankfully the pharmacy is in the hospital so we didn't have to make an additional stop. We were all quite hungry.  I ate the lunch I packed and we stopped at a Subway for Brandon to get something to eat.  T ate lots (about 20) carrots and some plantain chips.

We arrived at home shortly sometime after 3:00.  My mom and I headed out for a walk and Brandon stayed home with the kids.  The kids played with their little tablets that we checked out from the library because of the surgery.

I want to note that M stayed at our house with my mom (Grandma Kathy) during the surgery.  They went to a movie at the library, went for a walk/bike ride, watched a movie at home etc.  They had lots of fun together.  I am so thankful that my mom is here.  She is browning hamburger for dinner as I type!

Yesterday evening T had several visitors.  Two staff members from church came to say hi and two sets of friends came too, even bringing gifts!  She was VERY thrilled.  We have been so blessed with dear friends and so many text messages and prayers.

T: I get to play on a tablet. 

T: Grandma read to M and I from the new book. 
Last night M went to sleep quickly, T did not!  She came back downstairs and I finally went and slept with her when I went to bed. I thought this would help her to go to sleep more quickly and not disrupt Brandon's sleep.  She was waking me up every ten(ish) minutes until 4:00am when she said she was wide awake and kicked me out so she could play.  At 6:00am she came downstairs and cuddled with my mom.  I did sleep from 4-7 am. She finally fell asleep at 6:30am and woke up about 8:40!  I don't know how she is functioning today!

She woke up while I was in the shower.  When I came down I noticed that her bandage was totally falling off.  She and I drove over to Brandon's temporary office so he could help put on the new bandage.  We were not supposed to replace it until this evening, but it was not functioning well.  I was a little shocked by how much hair they shaved off.  T was very angry about this.  We didn't mention this to her beforehand.  It will be very noticeable if she wears a ponytail so let's pray for no lice outbreaks this fall so she can wear her hair down. I was able to brush out her hair and she looks much more like herself.
T: I don't know how, but the bandage fell off. 

T: I am NOT impressed with how much hair they shaved off. 

T: Mommy showed me that with my hair down you can't tell. 

T: This feels better than the bandage, but I am still sad about my hair. 

T: I put some stickers on it. 
Once we got home she was eager to work on her 1000 piece puzzle that Grandma bought her.  They worked so hard on it.  M slept until 10:30 this morning and then did his LEGO set.

I was able to work on nursery stuff for two hours and made a lot of progress.  It feels like so many things were needing to be done at once.   I am thankful to now be able to exhale for a few hours.
T: We are doing great work!

T: It might take a while!

This afternoon the kids are going to have some screen time on the tablets, work on the puzzle, play games, read books, and we might watch a movie as a family.  This is quite a low key day for the kids.

Please pray that we can all sleep better tonight.  We all need it so badly!  I have scheduled posts happening again tomorrow, but I will pop on here and give updates as time allows.  Our whole weekend needs to be pretty low key because T isn't supposed to be very active. 

No comments: