Saturday, May 16, 2020

Mother's Day 2020 (Week 8)


I had this grand dream that this year's Mother's Day would be a very special day.  Usually I have the kids and all the Sunday morning prep to deal with on Mother's Day.  They often don't even remember it is a special day and we walk into church exhausted and defeated.  This year was going to be different because Brandon and I would be together in the morning and I could just delight in the kids.  


We woke up to a cold and rainy day. We noticed early in the morning that Buttercup was drooling quite a bit.  We had no idea why.  It was hard for me to not think about his drooling while we were watching church.  After church the kids gave me many special cards and pictures.  They were very sweet and thoughtful.  I even got a quick picture with both kids. 


Thankful for these two. 

Here is a sample of the artwork I received!

Creations by T!

After opening the gifts we decided that I would go ahead and call the emergency vet and ask about taking Buttercup in.  They told me to come around 11:15.  We were going to play a family game of SkipBo when we noticed it stopped raining.  I decided to take a walk before the Dr. visit.  It was quite cold and windy, but I bundled up and convinced Charissa to walk in her neighborhood at the same time.  We had a great talk date and she took my mind off of Buttercup.  I received a text telling me the appointment was delayed so I did my entire walk.  

After the walk I came home and headed to the emergency vet.  I was able to drop off Buttercup fairly quickly.  Then I drove to the lot to sit and wait for a call about next steps.  I sat for over an hour.  I was very cold and hungry and bored since I had nothing to do.  I did have some brief texts and calls to my mom, but they were more about the names of our house plants and not sweet Mother's Day sentiments. 

My view for most of Mother' Day. 

They called me after about an hour and told me that they would have Buttercup ready in an hour and I asked if I could run home and eat and they were fine with that.  

I ran home for about 40 minutes then went back to the parking lot.  This time I had my Bible and journal and a blanket. I actually saw some friends in the lot and we said some distanced hellos. Half way in to my time waiting, I decided to loop the car around so I could people watch.  The clinic is in a strip mall which also has a Subway, Dollar Tree, and Piggly Wiggly.  They were all open.  It was interesting to do some very unofficial research about customers.  I was watching for percentages of people wearing masks.  It seemed that about 50% of grocery shoppers had masks, maybe even 60%.  About 10% of Dollar Tree customers had masks.  Zero Subway customers had masks on.  I found that interesting.  After about an hour of total waiting (for round two) they called and told me that I could pick up Buttercup about two hours later.  We agreed to test some blood levels and do an X-ray.  In hindsight I should have dropped him off the first time and driven home and waited at home. 

I went home, made cookies, and ate LOTS of cookies.  The kids were watching their Sunday afternoon movie, but T chose VHS recorded America's Funniest Videos.  It was fun to watch with her and remember watching it with my family growing up.  Anyone remember, "I'm hiding... in the front closet"?!? Just before the agreed upon pick up time they called me to discuss pick up.  I grabbed my coat and jumped in the van. Ironically, I then had to wait in the van an additional 30 minutes to check out and bring him home because an emergency arrived at just the wrong time.  At the end of the ordeal we knew nothing more than when we went in and we had to pay $524, and pretty much used up most of my Mother's Day.  

Sunshine is living his best life hiding under an end table!

I came home to a messy kitchen full of cookie carnage and no food prepped for dinner.  I was planning to put a roast in the cook pot in the morning and then all the cat trauma caused me to forget.  We had leftover stir fry and hotdogs and put the kids to bed.  I fell asleep right after they did. Because my phone was almost dead at dinner time I stuck it on the charger and never took it off.  Sadly this meant it didn't track my steps and I was about 150 short of my goal.  Sad face... It sure wasn't the day I imagined, playing Phase 10 and watching a movie together as a family... but I am thankful to have lived it and really, that is how life is.  Many are the plans of my heart, but the Lord's purpose prevails.  

No comments: