Saturday, May 2, 2020

Three cooks in the kitchen (Week 6)

Monday (April 20th) was a kitchen filled day for our crew.  Not only did we make the stew (as seen in the large pot on the stove), we also made two dessert recipes in the afternoon.  

T really wanted to make chocolate cookies and M really wanted to make banana bread.  I decided we could make both... at the same time.  It was quite an undertaking because we have to do a lot of recipe modification and pack ingredients etc.  I tried to think of everything for each kid, but it was hard going back and forth.  They wanted to do all the measuring themselves.  I was glad for their independence, but stressed about wasting ingredients if the recipes didn't turn out.  M's bread turned out pretty close to usual.  T's dough looked way off.  I think she might have doubled the coconut shortening and halved the almond flour.  You have to really really pack the flour so the recipes will turn out.  I told her this, but our definitions of "really pack" are probably different.  In the end I added in a lot of extra flour and they turned out pretty well!  

We did have some spillage of every single ingredient including a total loss of one egg.  It just comes with the territory of cooking with kids. I am thankful for this season and the opportunity we have to make treats (and eat treats) together! 

Three Bakers!

M: This time I will not drop the egg!

T: When I miss the bowl I just sweep the ingredients in like this. 

T: I don't need your help mom, I will get all this shortening in eventually. 

No comments: