Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Christmas on the Corners

Our community loves to celebrate.  One of my favorite celebrations is Christmas on the corners.  Each year the first Saturday of December we go all Hallmark Christmas special for the day.  This year we decided to try to do the Elf on the Shelf hunt for the first time.  I totally underestimated how long it would take to go to all the places so we were running like crazy from place to place, but it was a special experience to see all of downtown lit up and excited about Christmas.  

We started our time at the library because they advertised crafts and snacks and Elephant and Piggie.  Well, the snacks were pretty much gone and the crafts were for younger kids so we didn't stay too long.  I LOVE Mo Willems books so I thought it was cool to see Elephant and Piggie! 

My crew! M's friend D was with us too! 

After the library the hunt began.  We had to go to local businesses, at least 12 or 15 I can't remember and locate the elf on the shelf.  Once we located the elf we had to write down the location and tell the store.  They would give the kids a treat or trinket or something at every spot.  It is like trick or treating mixed with a scavenger hunt and Christmas fun!  

The bakery had special frosting and sprinkles so the kids could decorate their own cookies.  M made one and gave it to a man we knew which made that man's night!  This happened in a different world.  My mind almost can't believe all this closeness and togetherness was really real.  Once again I am thankful that it happened!

T: I felt like a real baker!

M: I wanted to choose the most fun sprinkles. 

T: It is hard to get the frosting out!

M: It is hard!

Our crew!

Buddies!
Besides activities and elf hunting there are reindeer to meet! 

M: Isn't he cool?!

The local museum was also letting everyone go through it for free.  Once again I wished we had more time to spend there.  The kids found many things to check out.

T: I am a deep sea diver. 

Learning about our Great Lake. 

T: I felt like I was driving a ship out of the marina. 

T: I got to go the highest because I am the lightest. 

After all of the elf hunting we headed home for a quick meal and then walked back downtown for the parade.  There was no snow this year, but it was still a very festive parade. We always stand on the street to watch.  It is a great spot as we don't have to arrive early and we have plenty of room.  The kids get SO MUCH CANDY!

It's starting!

Collecting candy!

By the time we get to the end of our block the first firework is going off.  It is a great spot to watch the fireworks and allows us to get home just a minute after they end.  The beauty of winter fireworks is they are finished early and we don't have to stay up super late waiting for them.

Such a sweet view!

No comments: