Friday, October 4, 2019

October Surgery Part Two

M is officially in surgery!  It felt like the longest wait ever.

Our day had an early start.  M woke up nervous just after 6:00am.  He and I talked and then I headed for a walk with a friend.  T left for her all day playdate before 9:00 and Brandon went to work.  M and I hung out and he tried the Gatorade.  It was not his favorite so we made a last minute run to Dollar Tree for a different kind, but none was available there so we headed to Pig and he found one he thought he would like.  He spent time reading and watching Dude Perfect and playing car racing games.  He also spent a lot of time this morning playing with his new science set he received as a surgery gift.  He absolutely loves it and really enjoyed figuring the different things out.

M: This is so cool!

M: See that spinner, I made it spin and fly to the ceiling!

M has lots of anxiety and nerves and said over and over, "Mom, I am scared."  We talked a lot about it.  We headed to the hospital just before 12:15.  Shortly before we arrived he said again that he was scared but that he knew that God was with him.  We turned off the music and had a very good prayer time.  He was very sweet.  We arrived and parked and checked out the construction which is progressing really fast.

M: It was so cool.  (The glare was intense) 

We went to where we thought day surgery was at 1:15.  When we arrived they sent us to a different floor.  Apparently some cases are seen on different floors.  I was so disoriented and they are also doing renovations which makes things more confusing.

We made it to the correct floor and got all checked in.  M put on his surgery clothes and relaxed and watched TV and we waited and waited.  Eventually they came in and told us that the Dr. was running behind so we settled in and M got very hungry and nervous which honestly was starting to make me very nervous.  I finally decided to let him have the computer again so he could play car games for further distraction.


M: I am ready to get this show on the road. 

The great distractor! 

Happy!

M: I turned down the lights to take a nap but I was too hungry to sleep. 

M: I am so glad that I could play some games while I waited. 


The nurse came in and said they were taking the little one before M back and I thought it would never be our turn.  The person before M must have been a fast surgery because M got his goofy juice not long after that.  We met with the surgical team and were good to go.  M was pretending to be goofy and saying the same things that T said after her surgery.

M: I was just pretending here, but I did feel a little dizzy before saying goodbye. 

Once they took him back they led me to the waiting area we were in during M's first two surgeries.  It is a bigger area which is nice, but it is very full of people.  There are whole multigenerational families here.  There are lots of food smells and distractions.  Amazingly I have been able to write this post!  I hope it makes sense.

Thank you so much for each prayer.  We feel them and treasure them!

No comments: