Sunday, October 20, 2019

Shelly's Movie Recommendations 2019 Edition

This summer and fall I have gotten to watch several movies while I sort of organize or clean or cuddle cats.  Several were watched while the kiddos were in MO. I do believe that almost every single one of these movies is based on a true story.  You can tell that is my favorite genre of movies (besides Hallmark).  I am going to post an amazon link to read more about each of these movies.  This way you can read reviews and learn more about each movie and not just take my word for it. 

The Least of These:  A powerful movie which takes place in India and tells about the life, death, and ministry of Graham Staines.  There are some pretty intense parts of the movie, but I do recommend it. 

Run the race:  This is not your classic sports movie and has a lot of family storyline and opportunity for tears too.  I think it is good for adults and families. Read more here

All Saints:  A good movie showing the importance of loving our neighbors and building bigger tables and learning together! Read more here

Concussion:  Oh man guys, if you love football, don't watch this movie. Joking, but not really joking.  It is an incredible movie about the brain and impact it feels from the heavy hitting sport of football.  Will Smith is brilliant and it will change the way you view the sport forever.  The illustration about the wood pecker and the mountain goat will stick with me always.  Read more here

Instant family:  A movie about the joys and trials of foster care and adoption.  We laughed with the family and I cried with them.  So much real stuff there!  I don't think this movie is based on a true story as much as the others, but I think many families collaborated to create this movie. Read more here

Green Book: An accomplished pianist who also happens to be black hires white driver to take him to performances in the South during segregation.  It is a powerful movie! Read more here

The Upside:  A paralyzed billionaire hires an unlikely life assistant.  This is a funny and light hearted movie.  It isn't deeply profound or spiritual at all, but does have some good lessons. Read more here

The Best of Enemies:  Wow!!  This is such an intense movie and how a school district in the South handled segregation in a very unique way. I learned a lot and cried and got angry, but also felt joy.  It is a movie every person could benefit from watching. Read more here

No comments: